Net Zero progress

Started by klondike, January 04, 2023, 08:45:38 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Heard this mentioned on Farage when he was announcing that world wide coal usage is expected to hit a new peak of 8 billion tons in 2023. It seems that Germany may be waking up to the fact that renewables can't power a modern economy.

Wind farm in Germany is being dismantled to expand a coal mine

A wind farm in Germany is being dismantled to expand the Garzweiler lignite mine. One of eight turbines installed at the location in 2001 has already been removed. Nevertheless, the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia said it would phase out coal by 2030, as did RWE, the company that owns the mine.
Wind turbines near the Garzweiler open pit mine in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, run by German energy giant RWE, is being removed to make way for more lignite exploitation.

The turbines were in operation since 2001, and government subsidies have expired. Energiekontor and wpd, which is also active in the Balkans, operate the wind farm.

It is unknown how long the deconstruction would take. So far, one wind turbine has been removed.

https://balkangreenenergynews.com/wind-farm-in-germany-is-being-dismantled-to-expand-coal-mine/

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on January 04, 2023, 08:45:38 AMHeard this mentioned on Farage when he was announcing that world wide coal usage is expected to hit a new peak of 8 billion tons in 2023. It seems that Germany may be waking up to the fact that renewables can't power a modern economy.

Wind farm in Germany is being dismantled to expand a coal mine

A wind farm in Germany is being dismantled to expand the Garzweiler lignite mine. One of eight turbines installed at the location in 2001 has already been removed. Nevertheless, the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia said it would phase out coal by 2030, as did RWE, the company that owns the mine.
Wind turbines near the Garzweiler open pit mine in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, run by German energy giant RWE, is being removed to make way for more lignite exploitation.

The turbines were in operation since 2001, and government subsidies have expired. Energiekontor and wpd, which is also active in the Balkans, operate the wind farm.

It is unknown how long the deconstruction would take. So far, one wind turbine has been removed.

https://balkangreenenergynews.com/wind-farm-in-germany-is-being-dismantled-to-expand-coal-mine/

Nature sure takes the piss out of humanity.

Just about when we reach net zero emissions, a huge volcanic eruption will occur & spew more pollution into the atmosphere than all the man-made fossil fuel usage has ever done.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

It's called Net Zero because those are the odds of us reaching the target using renewables. There will need to be more nuclear and we will still be using hydrocatbons for decades. 

As always nuclear fusion reactors are about 20 years away just as they were in the 80s (and 90s etc.) although I did catch a bit of a news story recently that somebody in France had got more energy out of an experimental fusion reactor than was put in for the first time.

Arthur C. Clarke: "In this infinite universe we can never run out of matter or energy, but we can all too easily run out of brains."