did-it

Started by crabbyob, March 21, 2022, 01:36:16 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Much as The Deep irritated me to the point that I simply ignored anything he posted, I was very sorry to read that his wife has developed Alzheimer's and has to go into care. Nobody deserves that
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Nobody  (deserves) that.. !!  I know of no-one who would think otherwise...
I feel very sad for him..
I still didn't like him though..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I find it a disgrace that dementia is not treated as any other chronic disease and the patient cared for at state expense. Why the difference between that and any other illness?

-Oy-

Quote from: klondike on March 24, 2022, 07:26:31 PM
I find it a disgrace that dementia is not treated as any other chronic disease and the patient cared for at state expense. Why the difference between that and any other illness?

Amen to THAT!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Jacqueline

It is an illness some sort of degeneration of the brain I think? The NHS should pay for the nursing care part of the fees and the person for the social care part, but is is really difficult to seperate the two and get the NHS to cough up.

Feel so sorry for anyone who's wife/husband is so ill that they can't be cared for at home and has to go into care.  Those Nursing Homes/Residential Homes should never be in private profit making hands, its disgraceful making money out of people who are too ill to look after themselves.

Scrumpy

Our Peggy suffered dementia .. It was heartbreaking to see such a lovely , gentle soul destroyed..

klondike

I don't think there is any medical treatment for dementia and that is the government argument that all care for suufferers is social care.

To my mind the test is what happens to a dementia patient if left entirely to their own devices? I think we all know that the answer is exactly the same as happens to somebody with some other debilitating disease which  requires a medical intervention so does get fully funded.

I think we all like to think we will be able to pass on the fruits of a lifetime of work (and paying taxes) to our children or other beneficiaries. Why should that be denied some and not others?

Michael Rolls

couldn't agree more - it is a national disgrace. We - the taxpayer - are funding thousands of illegal immigrants whether we like it or not, but our suffering elderly are ignored by the system
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Sheila

We had a nightmare few years when my mother had dementia.  I was sorry to read The Deep's post but didn't respond because of being offended by his previous posts.

We had very little help with my mum and it was awful and spoilt my memories of her.

Scrumpy

Scary stuff... We just have to hope that we and our families are free from such things..
The government are lacking when it comes to the elderly..They know little of being unable to afford the help that is desperately needed at such times..
If it doesn't affect them... why would they care...!!

klondike

No dementia in my immediate family which is small as my father was an only child.
Father went with a stroke
Mother with cancer

I do have concerns about my own mental oddities but they could just be normal ageing. I'd take any exit in preference to dementia which must be torture for the victims family.

Sheila

Covid gives you brain fog.  My mobile needed charging and I couldn't think how to do it!

1955vintage

Dad went a little way down the dementia road, but Mum hid it from us. After she died, I learned very quickly how confused he was. He only lived another three weeks after she died, he gave up. After 65 years of marriage, he saw no reason to continue.

I only have sympathy for the family of people with dementia. Seeing a strong man like my father suffering such a debilitating illness is cruel. Deep is a dipstick, but even he does not deserve it.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off