food shortages,...what a waste ??

Started by alfred, July 05, 2022, 08:25:09 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

Reading in todays news of farmers seeing mass amount of crops being wasted as there are too few people able to pick the crops in time and as a result farmers are losing thousands of pounds worth of produce in the process,

surely this government could help ease the situation by encouraging European helpers to come to the u.k and give those people the incentive to pick our crops
as it is unless the situation is corrected food  prices will continue to  grow as to my way of thinking its a crime to let so much food go to waste, where by it could help keep the nation  fed and food prices down as its is ( a no win for every one,)

Q; why isn't our government keeping on top of this situation, evidently someone isn't doing their job,

What are your views regarding food wastage and of the governments dithering ,

klondike

There are plenty of crops that can be harvested mechanically. If the farmers can't get their stuff picked then they need to change what they grow rather than constantly bleat about needing cheap (near slave) labour. We already import lots of food types anyway so the types that need lots of labour to handle should be coming from places with lots of spare labour there to handle it. Either that or pay enough to attract labour from those already here.

Alex

I was in a shop the other day and heard two posh ladies talking about Brexit and how people can't get staff to work as they all went home.
I kept my gob shut as they were bigger than me, which isn't difficult plus I wasn't sure of my facts :hmm:   BUT I wanted to ask why people 'went home' as every EU citizen living here was entitled to apply for "settled status" weren't they ?

Michael Rolls

that's how I understand it. Miguel, Victoria's husband in Spanish and nobody is suggesting that he should return - he has lived here for 11 years, and a few years before that (where and when they met) studied for three years at an English university
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: Alex on July 05, 2022, 11:48:50 AMI was in a shop the other day and heard two posh ladies talking about Brexit and how people can't get staff to work as they all went home.
I kept my gob shut as they were bigger than me, which isn't difficult plus I wasn't sure of my facts :hmm:   BUT I wanted to ask why people 'went home' as every EU citizen living here was entitled to apply for "settled status" weren't they ?

Many wouldn't want to stay permanently, they came for the season. A friend who lives half her life in Spain, near a resort popular with Brits, says the hospitality trade there is missing British workers for the same reasons.  No-one of working age and reasonable health should be unemployed here at the moment IMO.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖