M&S closing more stores

Started by klondike, March 31, 2023, 02:48:54 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

The one here went some time ago as did others at that time. It seems another round of closures is now coming.

M&S set to close 67 stores across the country - full list of affected locations
(except I don't see one)

Marks and Spencer's plans are to reduce its "full line" shops from 247 to 180 but to increase its food stores across the UK from 316 to 420.

These are not just any closures they are M&S closures

Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough - set to close April 15
Carlton Street, Castleford - set to close end of April
Meadowbank retail park, Edinburgh - set to close in spring
Newport Road, Cardiff - set to close in spring
Eagles Meadow, Wrexham - set to close in autumn
Deansgate, Bolton - closing date to be confirmed

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1753316/marks-and-spencer-store-closures

They are opening extra food only stores though.

The thing that always amused me about M&S clothes adverts and in store photos featured 30 something models while the majority of customers in the shop were 50 and overs.

Meanwhile in town here the M&S and BHS next to it still stand empty and the Debenham's store has recently been demolished and iirc student accommodation is being built.

Raven

We don't have M&S up North. A lot of stores seem to think Scotland stops at Inverness. Anything beyond is simply not worth it.

morty

I haven't been in a proper M&S for yonks ... but have shopped in those M & S outlets that tend to be in shopping malls. There's one near me .. 

It brings back memories of the High Street though doesn' or t it when everywhere had a Woollies and a British Home Stores or John Lewis.
I used to love going out on a Saturday just to window shop and buy a bag of chips as a treat.

dextrous63

We've got a massive one in Manchester City centre, and the already quite big one in the Trafford Centre is going to relocate to the larger Debenhams unit there.

morty

I've never been to one of them palatial dens of iniquity where the credit card gets hammered hard.
The small one near me has haf empty shops.

Scrumpy

I would miss our M&S.. I like their foodstuff especially the bread.. It makes the best toast..

Not too keen on the fashion though.. they seldom use a block colour for their frocks.. If I buy one I spend time altering it.. 
Often pop into the cafe.. the prices have gone sky high..
As an alternative I get a Greggs sausage roll with a coffee and sit inside the mall to eat it.. and people watch..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Alex

Great to see more M & S Food shops, but not everone can afford to shop there.  I go to the Cheshire Oaks store which is near to me, it's a lovely shop but I find I miss things as it's a bit higgledy piggledy  :smiley: There are other stores inside M & S like White Stuff, Phase 8 etc so two floors to get lost in  :grin: