Old Britain

Started by Alex, April 22, 2024, 02:29:34 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Imagine this happening today  !

klondike

Looks fun. Kids are protected far too much these days.

dextrous63

Wearing a tie and tank top!!  Never going to happen again.

Scrumpy

The woman standing by is wearing a mini skirt..
I love how the kids are perched on the railings ..
Like mountain goats..
No trampolines just a couple of old mattresses.. 
Good old days.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

Looks good fun, we were a lot more hung ho in our youth than most of today's kids. Can you imagine how horrified the mothers of those wee girls on the outside of the railings would be if it was today. Our muns would have just told us to be careful we didn't slip.

There was an old rickity wooden bridge across the river a wee way from where we lived, we would hang underneath and go hand over hand from one side to the other. River was quite deep but lots of rocks in the water, would have been nasty if anyone fell, but nobody did.

Scrumpy

The ropes from the street light made a fantastic swing..
We used to hang on and swing around the lamppost..
We shared a bike and that old bike could carry two or more kids at any one time..
Bikes in those days never got nicked.. You could leave them anywhere.. And children in prams/ pushchairs outside shops.. They didn't get nicked either..
And if a child cried a passerby would stop and talk to it..

Raven

We used to race up the road on our bikes pulling another kid behind on roller skates lol. Great fun till the skates hit a bump at speed. Got a few cut n bleeding knees that way.

Scrumpy

And what about Conkers ! They were deadly..

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on April 22, 2024, 07:14:13 PMAnd what about Conkers ! They were deadly..
Yes, I remember the usual warning: "Be careful. You'll have your eye out!"
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire