Yet again - you couldn't make it up!

Started by Michael Rolls, September 04, 2022, 11:44:02 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Apparently some 15% of the gas currently stored on the continent was bought from Britain. This reflects the shockingly inadequate gas storage facilities in the UK. Here's the rub. Come winter we will need to buy much of that gas back if the lights are to be kept on. Three relevant points.
1. It will cost more to buy back than we received on selling it.
2. Will the nations holding gas bought from us want to sell if back?
3. If Putin continues on his present course, those nations may not be able to sell it back.
Why is our storage capacity so inadequate?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

Heaven knows, I remember seeing those huge round storage things for gas when I was a child. They were in every town. I can't remember when they were dismantled though or why. Am I right in thinking it had something to do with the UK shutting down all it's industrys and buying in from abroad. Around the time we joined The EU? What a mistake that was, this wee island was self sufficient and we had everything we needed. WHAT WERE THE POLITICIANS THINKING?
More to the point.....WHY DID WE LET THEM?  :wtf:

Ashy

I gather gas storage capacity in Britain has been reduced considerably, no idea why. Maybe it's the school of thought called "Just in Time", which is used in retail and manufacturing to save on storage space. It's all based on the assumption that the supply is always on tap. We also know what happens when we assume.

You may recall that some of the experts were saying that a hold-up at the docks would ruin industry because of this critical timing of supply.

klondike

Probably most of the old gasometers were from the days we made gas from coal. Once that stopped they maybe just sat there unused although I'm sure the two near me used to go up and down so they were still used. They were dismantled over 10 years back now, One of the sites is still undeveloped but might be starting about the fourth proposed scheme. So far all I've seen change is the fencing around it. Somebodythough it would be a good idea to let maybe 50 graffiti wallahs loose on it. Bloody eyesore imo but at least it's not rainbow.