NATO - who pays

Started by JBR, February 14, 2024, 03:59:41 PM

« previous - next »

JBR

Well, all NATO member countries pay their whack for membership... well, except for one: Iceland.

The initial agreement was that every member state would pay 2% (or more) of their GNP.
We do, and so do some of the richer countries.  In fact, only 12 of the 1 member states pay 2%.
We pay 2.2%, the US pays 3.7%, even France pays 2.1%.
On the other hand, Germany pays only 1.4%.

Member states of NATO - Wikipedia

My questions:  Should we remove some states from NATO membership?  Which?  After all, some countries are in a strategic position which makes NATO a more effective organisation.

Well, I promised to start a new thread.  I'll be interested to see whether my membership here is now worth it!  🤣
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

JBR

Interesting.  Just heard a report on GB News showing Donald Trump making the point that if NATO members don't pay the agreed amount, they should be kicked out of NATO.  Why should America pay to defend non-paying members?
Strangely, it appears that there are now 18 member states who have agreed to pay the 2% minimum.

Wake up, Europe.  Some of you are encouraging Russia to come knocking on your door!

Diasi

Funnily, or annoyingly, enough the UK was also the second highest contributor to the EU coffers.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Ashy

Every immigrant increases GNP so the more we take in the more we have to pay taxes to NATO. I assume NATO doesn't pay for our military? Who gets it?

And 2% of gross national product is not the same by a long way, as 2% of tax revenue.

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on February 15, 2024, 08:32:28 AMEvery immigrant increases GNP so the more we take in the more we have to pay taxes to NATO. I assume NATO doesn't pay for our military? Who gets it?

And 2% of gross national product is not the same by a long way, as 2% of tax revenue.
I agree.

Now that America has suggested that those who don't pay their due may not receive their protection, more have decided to pay up.  When I looked up the figures (the ones I posted earlier) only 12 out of 31 paid 2% or more.  Since then, I hear that 18 have now agreed to pay up.

America dictates, but then I think that is completely fair.  After all, without America, the whole of Europe would be ripe for easy takings.