tramps,and people sleeping rough,

Started by alfred, December 27, 2021, 07:57:16 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

Back in the past there was a time when if you were walking in the park invariably at times you might see a tramp sleeping it off on a park bench in the sun,
many years forward you might see any amount of rough sleepers nodding off in shop door ways , so has any thing really changed if so what could be done to help these unfortunate people,

either by choice, or design some of these people may have ended up simply through the use of drugs, others made home less for many reasons,

Q; do you feel sorry for these people, thinking  how or why fate or what ever left these people to live a completely different life .with most likely very few friends.
what are your thoughts  regarding tramps and people sleeping rough,

klondike

Ah the man to answer that isn't here yet  :smiley:

I have occasionally but very occasionally given money to street beggars and I have seen some I've felt sorry for. Big Issue sellers never sell me one as I did buy one once and have zero interest in the content which in the one I bought seemed to be a guide to what's on in London. Probably because I was in London when I bought it but I already know what's on in Northampton (usually bugger all) in the unlikely event it is tailored to that extent and have no interest in what's on elsewhere.

There but for the grace? Possibly but I think unlikely. Most seem to have drink and/or drugs problems that they are content to keep because there are charities willing to help them out.

Michael Rolls

Missed a train at a rural station once and had to sleep on a bench until the next morning. Not an experience I would wish to repeat, and anyone having to do it regularly has my sympathy. I never pass a beggar by without contributing, although, having said that, I haven't walked in Perth - or any town - since the pandemic started. Obviously, I have no idea how many of those to whom I made a contribution are genuinely deserving cases and how many are not - but I don't honestly care. The small amount I contribute - normally £1 or £2 doesn't affect me.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

crabbyob

well said sir....there but for the grace of god go I....

1955vintage

Care in the community replaced many homes for underprivileged or mentally ill children, leading to more people being homeless. £5 means more to them than it does to me, hopefully it will not go on drugs , fags or booze.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off