The destruction of British Literature.

Started by Cassandra, February 20, 2023, 04:41:23 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Which way would this go today?

Story
Moral lesson  :check:. Or maybe  :no: for child abuse?
Words used  :yell:

Who can tell. Alf Garnet doesn't get any repeats though....

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on February 21, 2023, 12:23:01 PMI hadn't come across the Inky boys before!  :upvote:
Me neither, but I can appreciate the funny side of it.

Personally, I wouldn't go around calling Pakistanis P***s, or calling West Indians N*****s, as I can understand the use of such words would be seen as offensive - even though the West Indians apparently use the 'N' word all the time!

On the other hand, burning books (or even banning them) is going a step too far simply to appear to be kowtowing to the professional protesters, who are often white!  Given the opportunity, such people would remove all of our own history and replace it by what they themselves consider acceptable.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Scrumpy

Given time our  English Dictionary will be merely a four page pamphlet...
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

Quote from: klondike on February 21, 2023, 01:12:27 PMWhich way would this go today?

Story
Moral lesson  :check:. Or maybe  :no: for child abuse?
Words used  :yell:

Who can tell. Alf Garnet doesn't get any repeats though....
Some good moral lessons in childhood tales!  

I loved the parody that was Alf Garnett. Some people just loved Alf Garnett.  :grin:  We need more writers like Johnny Speight.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

The surprising thing to me about Struwellpeter is that it was first published in 1845. Over 100 years old when I was given it at a time when casual racism was very much the norm.

Cassandra

Quote from: GrannyMac on February 21, 2023, 06:08:20 PMSome good moral lessons in childhood tales! 

I loved the parody that was Alf Garnett. Some people just loved Alf Garnett.  :grin:  We need more writers like Johnny Speight. 

Gone forever - like tears in rain.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...