news papers,

Started by alfred, February 13, 2022, 03:59:49 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

some years back the news of the world was a favourite Sunday news paper to read, and many people i think read it for the scandals and stories  which made for many interesting to read about,
so with a mug of tea, or coffee it was a Sunday ritual, 

then people wrote in their own amusing stories which added to make the day a little better, and so it was a popular news paper, since then and even before then the evening papers which i remember was the star, evening news and standard, to name a few.

Q; now its your turn what other news papers are no longer  available  that you liked which sadly has long gone,

crabbyob

the Green Un, was the sports paper in South Yorks, and the guy came round the pubs and clubs on a Sat night.
i remember once our opponents netted a nice goal against us and as we trotted back towards the halfway line i said to the official, 'that was never a goal Ref' and the ref [Mr Barker, a great ref] grinned at me ' get yourself a green un tonight jock and i think you will find it was'... so i did, and bugger me it was....lol

Scrumpy

My mum read the News of the World.. I think it came out just on a Sunday..
She believed every word..  Way back then no-one criticized the Royals or Politicians and film stars were looked at in awe..
Though when talking over the fence to a neighbour they lowered their voices when the conversation of royals came up..
She told me later.. in a hushed voice..!!  'The Queen Mother loved Edward and she was behind them ( Edward and Simpson) being asked to leave the country'..
My Mum knew everything..  :smiley: :smiley:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

crabbyob

I think the Queen Mother blamed Edward for her husbands early death, perhaps rightly so, Edward was a devious soul who actually sided with the Nazi's which was why he spent the war years in [i think] the Bahamas, it was either that or prison camp....[/i]

Alex

My Dad always bought The News of The World on Sundays, during the week it was Daily Mirror.   When I did buy one it would be the Daily Mail.