Reading past the headline

Started by klondike, November 07, 2022, 12:47:50 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Saw a story in the Express where Sunak appears to be in the process of agreeing to pay climate change reparations to countries worst impacted. Boris is saying we can't afford it but doubtless if he was still in No 10 he'd likely agree to it too.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1693214/cop27-boris-johnson-rishi-sunak-reparations-row

Anyway past the headline and further into the story I see...

The Prime Minister has warned "there are difficult decisions to come" in the weeks and months ahead as he seeks to balance the books and tackle soaring inflation.

He has refused to guarantee he will stick by the state pension triple lock pledge the Conservatives made at the last election, and has warned significant public spending cuts are likely to be necessary.

So it seems that as Sunak steers his party into the sunset he still has his pedal to the metal. What an arse.

Michael Rolls

And Nicola is jumping onto the same silly bandwagon. Anyway - how are they 'reparations'? Since when has the British taxpayer caused hurricanes, volcanoes, sea incursions?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Our CO2 emissions are supposedly 1% of the human total which is a small % of natural CO2 production anyway. Let them sue Allah, Jehova and Odin plus any other gods they can think of.

Michael Rolls

good idea - I mean - how is it OUR bloody fault?
[email protected]

Raven

Quote from: Michael Rolls on November 07, 2022, 01:03:50 PMgood idea - I mean - how is it OUR bloody fault?

Everything else is our fault, so this may as well be too...Bad Us.  :nooo:

Alex

Quote from: Michael Rolls on November 07, 2022, 12:53:52 PMAnd Nicola is jumping onto the same silly bandwagon. Anyway - how are they 'reparations'? Since when has the British taxpayer caused hurricanes, volcanoes, sea incursions?

I noticed she's at the CO27 summit, :rolleyes:  no idea who paid for her as she wasn't invited, but it was probably the Scottish tax payer.

1955vintage

She is saying that England should pay.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Alex

As world leaders congregate in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt for the #COP27 summit, a certain "world leader" has once again reiterated that she is categorically not an "attention seeker" and will be maintaining a low profile.   Sorry couldn't resist this  :grin:  :grin:  :grin: very clever

https://twitter.com/i/status/1589536447123828737

JBR

Quote from: 1955vintage on November 07, 2022, 05:52:13 PMShe is saying that England should pay.
As I understand it, we do pay for her and her country.
In return, they have free medications and no doubt much more.

(Sorry to any Scots on here.  Nothing to do with you, of course.  Mostly the fault of our government.)
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

to be precise, the government of Blair and Brown, made worse by Cameron and Clegg
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Have you noticed that little people always push to the front.. !!

I've seen it with my own eyes in Tesco... 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on November 08, 2022, 08:33:55 AMHave you noticed that little people always push to the front.. !!

I've seen it with my own eyes in Tesco...
It's like children.  They can weave through our legs!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire