First aiders,

Started by alfred, January 26, 2022, 02:39:12 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

before i retired there was a time were i was a first aider and every three years i with others sat another course and if met the requirements qualified to continue being a first aider .

for those of you who have been on these course not doubt found it interesting , how ever there was always one comedian in the group and when the question was asked what would you do if yousaw a person lying on the pavement,

and smart aleck replied ...................... walk away and let some one else deal with it , .............of course it wasnt meant to be taken seriously  but it did break the monotony  at times ,

Q; have you ever been on a frst aid course and if so do you have any funny incidence of those times ,

Alex

I've never been on a first aid course, I don't really like the sight of blood  :cool:

zoony

3-4 years St John's Ambulance as a kid/teenager Alfred. My fancy dressings were a thing of beauty.. :grin:

alfred

Hello Alex ,

just  to reassure you you don't see any blood ,. the course you could if it was a real accident  how ever it deals  mainly with recognising problems,

so if  say some one having say fainted on the street and you sniffed  at a persons mouth if you smelt say almonds then most likely that person suffered from diabetes,

then it was saying loudly to that person   can you hear me , other wise they could be concussed, and then we were taught to make that person comfortable without pulling them about too much . where possibly  turn them on their side ,

of course  if that person had say fallen and hurt his or her ribs then you wouldn't do that  assuming they were able to talk if not then it was a case of phoning for an ambulance or the paramedic to take over, which you do automatically anyway,

the other side of these courses to which they are changing and altering all the time is to do with scenarios, and of course you learn about tying bandages as well,

for an  example there was a man siting in a chair and the the instructor a retired doctor said this man had fallen off a ladder and as you see is holding his shoulder,.

looking again i replied that the way the man was holding his shoulder meant or could be that he had broken his collar bone ,

this was play acting simply to see if you get an idea to pass on to the paramedic once they were on the scene of what you thought , they of course do their own thing.
the retired supervisor an ex doctor said i had diagnosed correctly what the  man had done,

so basically its about common sense ,and of course learning to recognise signs. i sat four times, and got a certificate each time over a 12 year period, and you can only practice first aid whilst your certificate is valid.

Q; have you been on a first aid course if so will you tell us about it,

klondike

Never done it. Irrelevant but I was a fire marshall for a while. Those courses make you respect the rules more.