past memories,

Started by alfred, December 22, 2021, 07:59:10 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

Going back in time i remember as I'm sure many of you would too of the fair grounds that went all over the u.k and some of the rides that thrilled us such as the whip, flying chairs, the helter-skelter.,and of course the dodgems, 

the endless stalls that you could win money although the odds were against you, was the rolling of the coins and to which you won if the coin landed on the money spot  then came a similar one using balls that also ended up in a ball size hole and again if you were lucky you could win money ,

many darts champions fancied their luck in trying to land three darts on three cards , and of course toy prizes were given in other stalls if you won,

i could go on but ill leave that to you as to what you recall of those heady days when the fair ground came to call,

Q; What do you remember of those times and will you share your memories with us

Raven

I remember my eldest sister getting in a right flap. Her friends and herself used to get dressed up and wander around the fairground especially the Waltzers. I was there with my friends one evening and saw her, then suddenly she got her high heel stuck between the boards on the walk around the waltzes, what a carry on she was so embarrassed and made worse as she couldn't get free, one of the fair lads had to rescue her. I was helpless with giggles and that seemed to annoy the life out of her for some reason. 😂
I didn't like the fast or high rides and didn't go very often, but I do remember one of my all time favourite records blasting away for many years, From a Jack to a King, by Ned Miller.

klondike

Actually they still do come to call here.

The travelling one I remember was when I was taking a holiday in Scarborough probably 15 years ago. We were wandering around part of the town one evening and came upon one in a car park. The size, height and number of the rides in what was a pretty small space was amazing. Took us back years and we wandered through drinking it all in. Never ventured on a ride though.  :smiley:

Michael Rolls

Haven't seen a fair in years - used to love the dodgems!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

I remember the fair on the common..Old Ma Benson used to be in charge.. She had many sons and a couple of daughters..
We would get all doled up.. Lipstick.. eyeliner.. and a beauty spot..!!
We would ride the dodgems and look all smug if one of the handsome Benson boys jumped on the back of our dodgem car..
They were amusing themselves at our pleasure.. Us with our smudged eyeliner and lipstick..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I recall trips to see my mother's older sister in Coventry. On one occasion there was a travelling fair. She lived in Broad Lane and I know we walked to it from memory "just down the turnpike to the common" but where that may have been in something other than localese I have no ided or even if "the common" is still empty land.

Checking Google maps I see that there is a Hearsall Common that probably fits the bill