TV Licence

Started by klondike, March 19, 2023, 11:33:39 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

'The BBC has lost its place as the national broadcaster'

Exclusive poll finds 91pc of over 14,000 Telegraph readers back abolishing levy, with many claiming it is 'regressive and out of date'

Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker's suspension for appearing to breach the BBC's impartiality rules on social media prompted a resurgence in debate over the BBC licence fee after some Conservative MPs demanded it be scrapped.

Mr Lineker tweeted that the Government's language about its new migration legislation was "not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 1930s".

The remark prompted a backlash that saw him forced to step back for one episode of Match of the Day, but he was reinstated after the BBC agreed to review its social media guidance. Tim Davie, director general of the BBC, was criticised for "capitulating" to the presenter.

In light of the news on Friday that the licence fee could rise by £13 next year, the backlash intensified further.

In the wake of the row, an exclusive poll by The Telegraph has found that 91 per cent of over 14,000 readers agree that the BBC should scrap its mandatory licence fee, which is currently set at £159 a year.

Similar results were observed a year ago, when nearly two thirds of the public backed the abolition of the BBC licence fee, according to a survey by pollsters Find Out Now and Electoral Calculus, after former culture secretary Nadine Dorries announced plans to freeze the levy.

Story: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/03/17/bbc-has-lost-place-national-broadcaster/

Alex

And they've got the nerve to want another £13  :boo: 

Raven

I was livid when I saw the News, I pay by direct debit monthly so am 6 months ahead. Getting close to joining others and saying enough, then cancelling the payment from my account. :angry:

klondike

Be sure to do it properly and get your refund

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/easy-read/how-to-cancel-a-TV-Licence-and-ask-for-a-refund#:~:text=If%20you%20pay%20for%20your,%2C%20call%200300%20790%200368*.

I see that involves phoning. I did it using an online form which is probably still there but that was the first link I came to.