cocoa,

Started by alfred, January 26, 2022, 03:42:04 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

mentioned drinking chocolate and just looked in the cupboard - I have an unopened tin - but it is six years past its 'best by' date. Is it likely to be OK to use? Given that it is effectively just cocoa powder and sugar, surely there's not much to go wrong?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Just pin a note on your clothes before you try it - might help the paramedics  :grin:

More seriously it probably cost £1. Just bin it.

crabbyob

as a child we had a coffee perculater and if they had ground coffee then that was what they drank, but while i liked the smell of coffee i have never really been a big drinker...
now when my granny made coffee she always put an egg shell in with the grounds...has anyone ever heard of that? if so why did she?

Michael Rolls

Quote from: klondike on January 27, 2022, 12:23:08 PM
Just pin a note on your clothes before you try it - might help the paramedics  :grin:

More seriously it probably cost £1. Just bin it.
You've convinced me - I'll get some fresh on the next Tesco delivery
[email protected]

crabbyob

if you do then please put it at the front of yer shelves not the back..

Alex

Quote from: crabbyob on January 27, 2022, 12:29:57 PM
as a child we had a coffee perculater and if they had ground coffee then that was what they drank, but while i liked the smell of coffee i have never really been a big drinker...
now when my granny made coffee she always put an egg shell in with the grounds...has anyone ever heard of that? if so why did she?

I've never heard of that crabbyob, but I do put a couple of grains of salt in with filter coffee it's supposed to reduce any bitterness

zoony

Quote from: crabbyob on January 27, 2022, 12:29:57 PM

I've heard of it in relation to poor quality coffee or re-used grounds..A few bits of (clean) eggshell takes out some of the acidity which is why it tastes bitter. Too much of a faf for most..

klondike

Quote from: Michael Rolls on January 27, 2022, 01:22:26 PM
You've convinced me - I'll get some fresh on the next Tesco delivery
Now that is like my mum. I told the tale of the grapefruit segments unused long enough for the tin to be rusty which I ate then found the tin replaced next time I  visited.

If you haven't touched it in over 6 years why would you feel the need to replace it?

crabbyob

it was in the fifties when i saw her use the Egg shells, so i have no doubt it wasnt the coffee grounds first perk...

Michael Rolls

Quote from: klondike on January 27, 2022, 02:22:08 PM
Now that is like my mum. I told the tale of the grapefruit segments unused long enough for the tin to be rusty which I ate then found the tin replaced next time I  visited.

If you haven't touched it in over 6 years why would you feel the need to replace it?
Because of the 'use by'
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

That's a reason to bin it. It isn't a reason to buy another tin to bin 6 years on.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

crabbyob

i sometimes get this 'feeling' about Mike.. :fishing:

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

crabbyob

i refuse on the grounds youve probably been snoozing and are mentaly alert
klondike says lerts can be dangerous...