Sci Fi stuff

Started by klondike, November 19, 2023, 04:33:36 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Why do films and TV make such a poor job of SciFi? I read it as a boy and still do now though mostly it's listen to audiobooks these days. 

Aliens which I watched in a cinema first and jumped like hell when the damned cat came out of the locker. Aliens 2 was my favourite in the fanchise with the later ones getting progressively worse.

Terminator then Terminator 2 topped it for me. The later ones were OKish but not so good.

I liked Predator too but just as an action adventure rather than SciFi.

Other than those for me it's largely a meh! although way back at the time and again in a cinema Star Wars was good. The rest of the franchise not so much for me.

I had never watched Star Trek the Next Generation but have started to recently. The stories and aliens are just as crappy as the original series but just as with that I have to keep watching them. No idea why as they are truly dire.

Might be old news but I only recently came across season 2 of Foundation. The books I have read many times along with most of Asimov's sci fi and other output. I had to rewatch season 1 and that reminded me just how far away from the original story line it is. About all that remains apart from the very broad brush Galactic Empire and Psychohistory background are some character names that bear no relationship to the ones in the books with even genders changed. About one thing Sony have got right should humans still be around some 20 thousand years hence is that most characters are distinctly brown. I'm surprised that there are any distinct racial characteristics remaining as I imagine we will be one homogenous whole by then. I wonder what will be used so one grouping can distinguish itself and look down on others then?

Anyway I've started now on Season 2 and it is watchable for me and some of the events which I'm sure would be meaningless to most do make some sort of sense to me knowing the original plotline.

Raven

I'm not really into Sci fi, I used to have a Freeview channel that was called Sci fi but it vanished a while back on a retune of the channels. Some of the stuff on it was ok but I don't think it was really worthy of the name.

Scrumpy

I enjoyed Close Encounter and , on a lighter note, ET..
I don't watch Sci Fi stuff.. It was amusing way back, just to  watch how aliens were portrayed..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

I'm not into Sci Fi either, but I did see Alien many moons ago.   

Michael Rolls

read all of Asimov's books many years ago. Enjoyed the first three Star Wars films but not the subsequent ones. Frightening to think that the first Star Wars was 46 years ago!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]