Sunak's House

Started by Alex, August 04, 2023, 10:42:36 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

Well what an embarrassment!  How on earth could this happen to the ( love him or hate him ) British PM ?

Apparently it took the protesters two hours to pull this off, they then sat on the roof another 2 hours + so where were the police and security services ?

I hope this time they get prison. 

klondike

They appear to be delusional. Unless we simply give up on civilisation leading to billions of deaths we must continue to use fossil fuels for decades to come as renewables just don't cut it. It causes less in the way of emissions to extract locally rather than thousands of miles away and transport the stuff. 

There are more and more scientists putting their heads above the parapet (and getting themselves cancelled) by saying that the global warming issue is being bigged up far more that the science actually shows to be happening. There have been many downward revisions of past temperature records in an attempt to prove big increases. Any event across the world is being put down to climate change regardless of whether it is unusual or not.

Yes it's getting warmer. The questions are how fast, is it dangerous, is there anything we can realistically do to prevent it that doesn't impose huge costs, restrictions and change on society that will be worse than the impact of any warming. We could fix it all tomorrow witrh a nuclear war I suppose. Perhaps that would make the greenies pleased. The survivors could become hunters and gatherers. If there is anything left to hunt or gather of course.

Alex

I don't care about their reasons, it shouldn't have been possible for them to invade the PM's private residence.  A good job they weren't bomb carrying terrorists under the guise of eco morons.

JBR

Quote from: Alex on August 04, 2023, 11:43:15 AMI don't care about their reasons, it shouldn't have been possible for them to invade the PM's private residence.  A good job they weren't bomb carrying terrorists under the guise of eco morons.
In any other country, the authorities wouldn't tolerate any of this.  They would deal with it.

Unfortunately, in the UK, anyone who has the power to deal with this is happy simply to ignore it.
I think we can be forgiven for believing that the police are effectively not even here these days.  After all, I never hear of them doing anything to put a stop to this sort of thing.

I foresee two possible outcomes:

1.  A new government which is competent will ensure that there are serious consequences for this sort of behaviour and will effectively put a stop to it, deterring any more of it.

2.  We never obtain a competent government and things will simply continue as they are.  In the continued lack of any police, people will begin to take the law into their own hands.  Mysteriously, the various protesters will quickly decide it is safer not to continue to do what they enjoy doing.

In either situation, these protests are likely to eventually stop!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

GrannyMac

Quote from: Alex on August 04, 2023, 11:43:15 AMI don't care about their reasons, it shouldn't have been possible for them to invade the PM's private residence.  A good job they weren't bomb carrying terrorists under the guise of eco morons.
I agree. 

JBR I think it may be No 2, which after a good run, and some unnecessary violence (things usually go too far) may result, hopefully, in No 1.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

I listened to a woman on radio this morning, she is Greenpeace supporter, but condemned the actions of this lot.  When you think about it Greenpeace did used to be all about good causes, like holding up Japanese whaling ships and stopping baby seals being bludgeoned to death in Canada although I believe that still goes on.  This woman is stopping her monthly donation to Greenpeace, perhaps others will follow because let's face it, this stunt was not on.

klondike

Quote from: JBR on August 04, 2023, 02:08:05 PMUnfortunately, in the UK, anyone who has the power to deal with this is happy simply to ignore it.
Perhaps this stunt will wake Sunak up to the fact that they just do as they like and possibly clamp down on them. I read that the law was toughened and a couple that scaled the Dartford crossing bridge holding up the crossing got jailed. 3 years and 2 years 7 months. No idea why the sentences weren't the same.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/21/just-stop-oil-protesters-jailed-for-dartford-crossing-protest

Just read that the government have cut ties with Greenpeace. I didn't know they had any,
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1798722/Rishi-Sunak-Greenpeace-protest-cut-ties

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on August 04, 2023, 04:54:48 PMPerhaps this stunt will wake Sunak up to the fact that they just do as they like and possibly clamp down on them. I read that the law was toughened and a couple that scaled the Dartford crossing bridge holding up the crossing got jailed. 3 years and 2 years 7 months. No idea why the sentences weren't the same.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/21/just-stop-oil-protesters-jailed-for-dartford-crossing-protest

Just read that the government have cut ties with Greenpeace. I didn't know they had any,
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1798722/Rishi-Sunak-Greenpeace-protest-cut-ties

Probably donations via the British Council as 'Foreign Aid' or some other dumpster reason for some limp civil servant to give money to saving wokery somewhere far enough away not to attract too much attention. A freedom of information act request would illicit the details for the above meaningless statement.

Bent & Benter reliably at work, rely on it.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on August 04, 2023, 03:27:24 PMI agree.

JBR I think it may be No 2, which after a good run, and some unnecessary violence (things usually go too far) may result, hopefully, in No 1.
I hope you're right.
It will need more public criticism and even taking the law into our own hands but, hopefully, after some injuries to protesters, even the do-gooder elements might agree that something must be done.

Ruthio

I find it quite extraordinary that our Prime Minister didn't have any kind of alarm/security installed for this property.
Hell, even we've got a burglar alarm at Ruthio towers!!!

klondike

I thought there was somebody (not Sunak) in the house and they just let them get on with it.

Michael Rolls

silly sods. At first I wondered if it was Chequers, which would have been a ridiculous security breach, but it was the PM's personal property up north
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

1955vintage

I bet the smug bugger in the Verisure ads is smiling.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Diasi

The main concern for me is the number of Chris Packham type morons, who don't see anything wrong with it, popping up to be interviewed by the news media & saying that a Jury may chuck any prosecution case out.

With cases like this there shouldn't even be a trial as there's nothing to be proved, it's all on CCTV.

It should be a case of a Magistrate  / Judge deciding on the sentence.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on August 05, 2023, 10:18:18 AMThe main concern for me is the number of Chris Packham type morons, who don't see anything wrong with it, popping up to be interviewed by the news media & saying that a Jury may chuck any prosecution case out.

With cases like this there shouldn't even be a trial as there's nothing to be proved, it's all on CCTV.

It should be a case of a Magistrate  / Judge deciding on the sentence.
Even the courts don't seem interested in doing anything about these people who appear to be effectively above the law.

Still, come the revolution!

Seriously, some revolutions have improved things in some countries.