Fraud

Started by Scrumpy, April 19, 2022, 04:42:50 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Only problem I've had was darn sarf too, in London.

Raven

Quote from: klondike on April 19, 2022, 07:09:19 PM
They fit up cash machines with a false bit to skim the cards. I've never seen such a thing but they are supposed to be well hidden.

I can understand how cash machines get fitted up, that's why I refuse to use them. I get cashback from the shop when I pay for my messages. If I need it. But how do they fit up a shop pay machine, they would surely be seen.  :hmm:

klondike

I don't know but I'd guess on them either using a different machine for the transaction or if you lose sight of the card it's easy enough to scan it then put it in the machine ready for you to enter the pin.

Whatever it is they do works because getting cards cloned in garages and restaurants  is well known.

zoony

I remember reading that a favorite way is to pretend to drop the card behind the counter and clone it while retrieving it. It only takes a moment to do.

Raven

Quote from: zoony on April 19, 2022, 11:02:12 PM
I remember reading that a favorite way is to pretend to drop the card behind the counter and clone it while retrieving it. It only takes a moment to do.

WOW, So it's the Staff doing it?

Raven

Quote from: klondike on April 19, 2022, 09:32:36 PM
I don't know but I'd guess on them either using a different machine for the transaction or if you lose sight of the card it's easy enough to scan it then put it in the machine ready for you to enter the pin.

Whatever it is they do works because getting cards cloned in garages and restaurants  is well known.

I use pay at the pump for my fuel. It seems everyone's at it nowadays.  :cry:

Scrumpy

The petrol station was the only place that I used my card.. by inserting it.
My other transactions were as normal..

My bank card had only just been replaced..
NatWest issued a new bank card without me asking for it..
It is a card that doesn't show any details on the face of the card.. So, when you tap it, details are not on show to others..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Must be a new trend as I have one like that. Bit of a pain using it for a one-off online transaction as you don't have the details in front of you. I suppose the idea is that the clones won't have the CVV as that is only printed on the card.

I fear it will just encourage people to allow sites to store their payment details. Probably OK for the really big players as they should have good security but a small company? No way Jose.

crabbyob

my son got caught once and it weas the local petrol station

Scrumpy

It would seem that petrol stations are not doing too well in this thread..
I shall tell people at the Co-op ...

klondike

I'm guessing they can't put the petrol charge through. If they did then it should be easy for the cc companies to spot where cards were being cloned. As you get the fraudulent charges refunded you might end up winning. Worth a check to see if you were charged for the petrol Scrumpy.

Scrumpy

The petrol is listed in my transactions.. Pending..

klondike

Can't win 'em all....  :sad:

crabbyob

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]