You are not a legal..

Started by Scrumpy, July 09, 2024, 06:55:39 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

I heard something interesting today.. 
My Italian friend came to this country from Italy around 60 years ago. She married a friend of mine (English)..
They had two children. She always worked and paid her taxes..
She has always voted in the council and general elections.. She receives a polling card through the post that explains where she should vote and a polling number..

This year they introduced photo identification before voting.. 
She went to the polling station with her family and showed her passport.. 
She was told that she could not vote because she still retained an Italian Passport..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on July 09, 2024, 06:55:39 PMI heard something interesting today..
My Italian friend came to this country from Italy around 60 years ago. She married a friend of mine (English)..
They had two children. She always worked and paid her taxes..
She has always voted in the council and general elections.. She receives a polling card through the post that explains where she should vote and a polling number..

This year they introduced photo identification before voting..
She went to the polling station with her family and showed her passport..
She was told that she could not vote because she still retained an Italian Passport..

Sounds like someone has cocked up, but I can't say I'm at all surprised.
If she has successfully voted before and has received a polling card, why has she now been denied a vote.
It sounds to me like the officious official was speaking out of her nether regions.
I hope the poor woman follows this up with the authorities, and if necessary the newspapers or television.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Scrumpy

I told her not to worry.. They are all a load of crap anyway.. She agreed and we decided that we would go out tomorrow for a coffee and a Greggs sausage roll.. 

All voting went out of her head when a Greggs sausage roll was mentioned..  :grin:

dextrous63

Ridiculous.  If her name was on the electoral list then that was sufficient.  The photo id is just that....legitimate identification.

She should complain about losing her democratic rights.  Then she should pack a bag ready for the inevitable deportation.

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on July 09, 2024, 08:01:35 PMRidiculous.  If her name was on the electoral list then that was sufficient.  The photo id is just that....legitimate identification.

She should complain about losing her democratic rights.  Then she should pack a bag ready for the inevitable deportation.
Hear hear.
Having heard about many people's votes not counting this last time, I think it is very important that this sort of thing should be seriously investigated by the authorities.

klondike

It is stupid but there is a list of which photo IDs can be used for voting. Vlad mentioned that his military photo ID isn't valid.

Alex

I hope she takes this further.

klondike

I checked. An Italian passport is valid.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/voting-and-elections/voter-id/accepted-forms-photo-id

Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state (Opens in new window) or a Commonwealth country (including an Irish Passport Card)

EU countries
The EU countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

The European Economic Area (EEA)
The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU's single market.

Switzerland is not an EU or EEA member but is part of the single market. This means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.

Scrumpy

klondike

I wondered if they had just specified a UK passport so checked. It seems the polling station staff hadn't been taught properly. I think this is the first time voter IDs have been required.

Scrumpy

I did notice at our polling station there were a few youngsters behind the desk...
I think the kid that looked at my passport was about 14..
No 'oldies' about.. 
I remember .. way back when the wife waited for her husband to come home from work and they would both go together.. He would put on a suit and tie and she would put on a hat.. as though they were off to church..
If , later in the day, you hadn't voted a man would knock at your door and offer you a lift .. Usually Labour.. Interesting times..

klondike

I was out walking Thursday evening and saw plenty of couples heading out presumably for the polling station. It's still a thing but they weren't poshed up.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on July 10, 2024, 08:55:16 AMI wondered if they had just specified a UK passport so checked. It seems the polling station staff hadn't been taught properly. I think this is the first time voter IDs have been required.
Preventing a person from voting is a serious offence.  I wonder whether the person responsible will receive a bollocking, or if the whole thing will just be covered up and forgotten about.

Diasi

It all depends on how old her passport, & therefore her photo, is.

The polling station officials are quite within their rights to decide.

July 10, 2024, 11:41:25 AM
Quote from: klondike on July 10, 2024, 08:55:16 AMI wondered if they had just specified a UK passport so checked. It seems the polling station staff hadn't been taught properly. I think this is the first time voter IDs have been required.
Voter ID has been used the last two times I've voted but this is the first General Election for which it's been used.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

ansu

An interesting discussion, however, I am not sure whether you automatically get the "nationality" of the person you marry - at least what I heard about the UK during Brexit wives or husbands had to complete lots of forms to permanently stay in the UK. Here in Germany you can have two nationalities/passports - on the one side an advantage, but on the other side a disadvantage, too. Turkish tenants in my mother's house just use their German passport, if this offers advantages, and if not their Turkish one. and if desired, they take part in German and Turkish elections.