Childcare

Started by muddy, April 02, 2024, 02:13:44 PM

« previous - next »

muddy

There is the big debate about childcare .
The government is giving more hours free childcare 
Apparantly childcare costs so much people just work to pay the nursery fees .
So why don't they look after their own children for the first 4 / 5 years of life ? 
Instead they are sent to a place manned by young school leavers who aren't always good/ experienced with babies while the nursery owner makes lots of dosh .

Raven

Exactly, I gave been told I'm old fashioned but I don't see the point of having kids then not looking after them. I stopped working when I was 7 months and I didn't return to work until both were in school, then I got a part time only job.

klondike

There's far more calls on cash these days that people seem to think are essentials than there were in the good old days when one wage provided enough to bring up a family. 

Without even getting onto the topics of cars, holidays and other stuff just the cost of housing is way over what it was when I started a family. Now I wonder why that might be  :rolleyes:

Alex

My son and daughter in law both work, they have to to pay the mortgage and all the other bills. Its a fact that wages haven't kept up with the cost of living. 

Raven

The first few years are the ones that have so many firsts, first smile, first crawl, first step, first word,ect ect. I would have hated to miss all that. It's the nursery staff who see a lot of that now, such a shame.

GrannyMac

I had a job.  Easy to give up. My daughter and daughter in law have careers that they'd worked hard for, and were much older than I was before they had children. They took maximum time off in maternity leave, and my daughter in law took redundancy and became a contractor, so she had time off in chunks. My daughter was a single parent for a while.  I helped out a day a week with that grandchild, who was at  nursery three days a week. 

They are all well mannered, nice kids, the oldest will sit A levels next year. I've read many comments from teachers who find that the kids with working parents are less likely to be disruptive, and more likely to develop a work ethic and do well.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

That may be because when one doesn't work these days the othe either doesn't work either or is no longer around.

Alex

Although I didn't like the idea of my grandson going to nursery at such a young age, there was no alternative.    I think it's certainly helped him, particularly as he is an 'only child'

1955vintage

Maybe if young parents spent less money on holidays,cars,tv channel subscription,eating out and ordering in junk food, nail bars they could afford one to work from home.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Scrumpy

Parents need help with childcare.. They need to work to keep their heads above water..
Quote from: 1955vintage on April 03, 2024, 05:43:13 PMMaybe if young parents spent less money on holidays,cars,tv channel subscription,eating out and ordering in junk food, nail bars they could afford one to work from home.
Not true of all young parents..
It should be a choice of a couple whether or not they have any children.. I think it is sad when a happy couple can not afford children.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

1955vintage

Nobody has ever been able to afford children. You make do and mend.

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

Housing has never cost as much as it does today in relation to income.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

1955vintage

The reason we finished paying our mortgages by the time we were 60 was because we went without and paid over 25 years not 35. Even when interest rates were over 10%

Michael Rolls

Quote from: GrannyMac on April 04, 2024, 01:23:39 PMHousing has never cost as much as it does today in relation to income. 
So true. The house Susan and I bought in 1968 for £5,999, if subjected to normal inflation should now cost around £88,000. A twin was on the market a few months ago for 'offers over £750,000'
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]