Missing Plane

Started by Alex, September 18, 2023, 10:43:37 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

A US Marine Corps fighter jet has gone missing in South Carolina after its pilot safely ejected the aircraft on Sunday. The US military officials have appealed to the public to help locate the missing $ 80 million-dollar plane
Now the USAF has grounded all military flights for 48 hours. 
Maybe it's been nicked by the Chinese ? :grin:  :grin:

klondike

I read that too. There was another one flying with it. You'd have thought he'd have made some attempt to follow when his mate ejected.

Alex

Surely they have some kind of tracker, like a mobile phone  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

klondike

Commercial planes have transponders that make them easy to track but the military aren't keen on that for some reason and they try to make theirs hard to track. It seems our radars can't be up to much. 

Ashy

I gather they can be made invisible to radar by design of the outer shell. All the same they ought to be able to track a training flight.

klondike

You'd hope so. I heard earlier that debris has been found. I still can't figure out why the other plane that was reported as flying with the one that got in trouble didn't at least follow it. I'm guessing neither were armed but it they knew where it was surely another armed plane could have been launched to bring it down in a safe area. It was probably just luck that it didn't crash in a populated area. That said there is a lot of empty space in the USA.

Cassandra

Over here reported as Debris now found in the Charlesville area. Till then really living up to its reputation as a 'Stealth' plane! - no-one could find it!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Ashy

Cassandra

Quote from: Ashy on September 19, 2023, 04:31:55 PMI hope no one was hurt.

The young pilot ejected once he could set the plane to crash in a desert area. He was recovered quickly and uninjured thank the Lord.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: Cassandra on September 19, 2023, 11:00:16 PMThe young pilot ejected once he could set the plane to crash in a desert area. He was recovered quickly and uninjured thank the Lord.
Ah - that explains it. I wondered why they hadn't followed it and  shot it down.