This is Why Heat Pumps May NOT Be The Future

Started by klondike, September 13, 2023, 10:59:18 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

I came across this on Youtube. I'd already read all this stuff before but maybe you didn't already know. These things are coming. Soon if you want to sell a property it will have to have one to meet the new energy standards, I'm guessing those standards are what, or so I've read, can give you a year in jail if you break the law by non compliance.

It's a good but depressing watch. From stuff I've read elsewhere although he did mention noise he maybe didn't emphasise it enough - don't forget all your neighbours will have these too.

We are being sold a turd, Will it really happen?

Diasi

I've seen loads of this guy's videos & the main point is that he's a well qualified heating engineer who could probably make a load of dosh promoting heat pumps but he's very honest & tells you what a lot of crap they are in the UK & that he won't have one.

There are lots of honest electricians, me included, who'll tell you why solar panels are a load of rubbish in the UK & that I'd never have them.

By a coincidence I watched this tonight & it fits in well with your post.

It explains how it will be possible for HMG to enforce us to comply with net zero, even though it is technically not possible, by criminalising non-compliance.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

I reckon only 9 voted against because that's all that were stll awake by the timr they got to the end of the bill title. This was the stuff I mrntioned that could puy you in jail.

Alex

So if you've got a smart meter, you're kind of stuffed and if you haven't got one, you'll be forced to get one !  As for heat pumps they appear to be so expensive to install, and not as warm as our gas boilers.

How depressing  :downvote:

Michael Rolls

I never thought that I would be grateful that there is no mains gas here! Another element of the idiotic 'net zero' policy
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

You'll still get pushed into having a heat pump to meet energy standards. From what you've said about your electric bills it could even save you money. Mind you the payback time almost certainly means it will be others who reap the benefits.

Michael Rolls

well, I will resist to the limit of my capability
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

None of us will be allowed to resist from what I can see. 

JBR

Quote from: klondike on September 14, 2023, 04:29:22 PMNone of us will be allowed to resist from what I can see.
They cannot MAKE you pay for a heat pump.

They can cut off your gas, but there are alternatives.
Camping gas, wood fires (we have one which is very effective), electric heaters.  They surely cannot cut off our electricity, especially as they are still plugging EVs!

I know that I shall never have a heat pump.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

I'm not sure what they'll do.

They can certainly stop you selling or renting out a property that doesn't meet their required energy efficiency level which will almost certainly require a heat pump to be achieved because they'll make sure it does. There is a lot of alarmist comment on the new bill. How much is actually true I don't know. How much will end up being true may not be true now so it could get worse.

Here's the usual alarmist stuff the Mail publishes
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/columnists/article-12493679/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-No-heat-pump-thermals-youre-nicked.html

The enforced smart meters and smart devices (not sure if that story mentions them) will be needed because the grid isn't robust enough for all the heatpumps or car chargers to be running at the same time so that will need to be controlled by them to make sure the grid overload trip doesn't keep going off.

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on September 14, 2023, 06:36:59 PMThey cannot MAKE you pay for a heat pump.

They can cut off your gas, but there are alternatives.
Camping gas, wood fires (we have one which is very effective), electric heaters.  They surely cannot cut off our electricity, especially as they are still plugging EVs!

I know that I shall never have a heat pump.
No they can't, but if heat pumps become legally mandatory they could fine you £15,000 & if you can't pay HMG make you bankrupt & seize your house.

If you can pay but don't pay you then get a year in prison & HMG seize £15,000 from your assets anyway.

Whether or not this will happen in actual fact no one knows, but what is a fact is the legislation will be in place to allow it to happen.

Along with the power for HMG to introduce any legally binding net zero conditions without the need for it to be discussed by Parliament.  

This clip explains it better than the previous one.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on September 14, 2023, 08:50:16 PMNo they can't, but if heat pumps become legally mandatory they could fine you £15,000 & if you can't pay HMG make you bankrupt & seize your house.

If you can pay but don't pay you then get a year in prison & HMG seize £15,000 from your assets anyway.

That sounds dreadful, and for that matter, completely impractical!

I'll tell them that I'm a traveller and I'm afraid that I cannot find anyone willing to attache a heat pump to my caravan.

:grin: :evil:
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

The most impractical thing about it is we have a (self inflicted) shortage of housing. There are huge numbers of old houses that it will simply be uneconomic and possibly impossible to bring up to the insulation standard required for a heat pump to work. What happens to those. Will they be demolished? Stand empty? The amount of folk in jail is going to make the dinghy boys look a very minor problem. 

klondike

"As a Heating Engineer, It's Clear Customers Will Be Left Without Heating Entirely Because They Can't Afford a Heat Pump"

I have been a Heating Engineer for the last 25 years and am horrified at where our Uniparty politicians are taking us with their Carbon Net Zero lunacy. I have seen a memo from Worcester Bosch stating that it is going to be fined from 2024 if it sells more than 20,000 gas boilers or 1,000 oil boilers and as a result will have to pass the cost on to the consumer. I have completed a hydronics course and it is obvious that heat pumps are at best expensive and in a great many cases totally unsuitable for a lot of our housing stock. I can already see a situation where I attend a boiler breakdown and find that the boiler can't be repaired and with this new legislation that the customer won't be able to afford a new boiler or a heat pump and will be left with no heating or hot water.

This is much the same legislation that has been foisted on the motor industry where companies will be fined for selling too many petrol and diesel cars so have pulled models such as the Ford Fiesta. We seem to be heading headlong into a Net Zero disaster that none of us voted for or were even given a choice. There is an election coming and most people seem unaware that the four main parties are all signed up to this madness.

https://dailysceptic.org/2023/09/14/as-a-heating-engineer-its-clear-customers-will-be-left-without-heating-entirely-because-they-cant-afford-a-heat-pump/

dextrous63

It seems pretty obvious that increasing insulation in existing houses should precede the en-masse replacement of boilers.