My bad attitude explained !

Started by Alex, September 05, 2023, 02:27:02 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

I lived in Germany for 10 years in 1970/80s when there were thousands of Turks pouring into the country, they were needed for building sites, plus to do the jobs Germans wouldn't do 😀 - sound familiar ? Although that influx was only supposed to be temporary, the majority stayed as the government altered the length of time people could stay.    They did seem to keep themselves to themselves, apart from the groups of young men who would hang about city centres.   Now there are millions of them in Germany, plus all the other nationalities Mutti let in, but the seventies was organised compared to today.

So as a "Gastarbeiterin "  myself, you'd think my attitude towards mass migration would be more tolerant, but it isn't, as I've seen how it changed a city and ultimately a country in a short period of time.   Now I'm seeing it again in my own country, only this is much worse.  At least back in the 70s we knew where the immigrants came from and they had to be registered.

Raven

I fully understand what your saying and I agree with you. I wouldn't call it bad attitude though just real concern for your country.

klondike

The car assembly lines were another place you'd find Gastarebeiterin in the 70s and 80s and doubtless later too. 

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on September 05, 2023, 02:27:02 PMI lived in Germany for 10 years in 1970/80s when there were thousands of Turks pouring into the country, they were needed for building sites, plus to do the jobs Germans wouldn't do 😀 - sound familiar ? Although that influx was only supposed to be temporary, the majority stayed as the government altered the length of time people could stay.    They did seem to keep themselves to themselves, apart from the groups of young men who would hang about city centres.  Now there are millions of them in Germany, plus all the other nationalities Mutti let in, but the seventies was organised compared to today.

So as a "Gastarbeiterin "  myself, you'd think my attitude towards mass migration would be more tolerant, but it isn't, as I've seen how it changed a city and ultimately a country in a short period of time.  Now I'm seeing it again in my own country, only this is much worse.  At least back in the 70s we knew where the immigrants came from and they had to be registered.

As I often say, the best person to talk about a broken leg is the person who's actually had a broken leg.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]