Michael Rolls

things my car has which I don't use
Radio
CD player
Assisted hill start
self parking
cruise control (but I would if I did a long motorway journey as I used to
Bluetooth
and there are probably other things I don't use because I don't even know they are there!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Ashy

Quote from: Raven on September 03, 2023, 09:01:51 AMVery true often simple is best.
I agree, the more complicated anything is, the more there is to go wrong.

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on September 03, 2023, 09:13:03 AMthings my car has which I don't use
Radio
CD player
Assisted hill start
self parking
cruise control (but I would if I did a long motorway journey as I used to
Bluetooth
and there are probably other things I don't use because I don't even know they are there!
I use cruise control quite a lot & the speed limiter most of the time.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

I use my CD player and radio , my car doesn't have any gadgets. :grin:

Scrumpy

My 22 year old motor has automatic windscreen wipers and lights.. She was 'Posh' back in the day..
 I wish she could reverse park herself..
I agree with Ashy .. the more gadgets the more problems. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

The only thing I would use if the car had one, is a built in Sat Nav if I wasn't sure where I was going. As it is I have to plester about with my phone app, rake out the holder for it, and find the wire for the lighter plug, and prey it will not unstick it's self from the windscreen, blooming carry on. Thankfully it's only from Inverness south that I find I can need it.

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 03, 2023, 10:41:36 AMMy 22 year old motor has automatic windscreen wipers and lights.. She was 'Posh' back in the day..
 I wish she could reverse park herself..
I agree with Ashy .. the more gadgets the more problems.
'She'?

Why do people call cars 'she'?
Well, I assume it's because they can be bloody difficult at times.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Diasi on September 03, 2023, 09:39:19 AMI use cruise control quite a lot & the speed limiter most of the time.
Cruise control around our lanes is totally inappropriate and I do not like speed limiter - it can be dangerous if an emergency situation calls for acceleration. Obviously your motoring is different to mine
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on September 03, 2023, 11:17:36 AMCruise control around our lanes is totally inappropriate and I do not like speed limiter - it can be dangerous if an emergency situation calls for acceleration. Obviously your motoring is different to mine
I agree.  Even on our motorways, I feel the need to change speed all the time, except for on the few occasions when there is little or no traffic around.
The one form of 'speed limiter' ours has is a bleep which sounds when you exceed the posted speed limits, which it can read from the speed limit signs.

Interestingly, having attended a short course (free!) provided by Manchester council to help people who haven't driven for a couple of years (including me, but that's another story), I was offered an hour with an instructor who pointed out that I was changing up a gear too frequently.

He suggested that up to 20mph, stay in second gear, and up to 30mph, third gear.  Bearing in mind that most of the roads around here are either 30 or 20 limits, I found that I rarely use fourth gear (never mind fifth) unless I'm on a motorway or other dual carriageway!
He pointed out that if you keep your gear appropriately low, you have more control of the car yet you are not using too much fuel.

At first, I found it difficult not to change up to fourth as early as I always have done, but now getting better at it!

Michael Rolls

and, of course, lower gears mean more revs and more emissions! So much for these moronic 20 MPH zones unless genuinely for safety reasons
[email protected]

Sheila

Large parts of The Wirral are 20mph and many people are not happy about it.

GrannyMac

The residential streets here are 20mph.  Lots of old terrace housing, single file traffic because the roads are so narrow, it makes sense.  Our road, quite a steep hill, has a bit more off street parking, so its less congested than most, but still a bit of a slalom.   Most of the neighbours don't seem to find 20mph difficult, but there are a couple of idiots who race up and down.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

Quote from: JBR on September 03, 2023, 10:58:46 AM'She'?

Why do people call cars 'she'?
Well, I assume it's because they can be bloody difficult at times.
I call her 'She' because she takes me where I want to go..' She' never lets me down and her workings are not complicated..
'She' never jumps a light..  'She' doesn't need a piercing horn to let you know she is around..
'She' never rushes anywhere but still arrives in time.
'She' loves a bubble bath in Fairy Liquid.. and looks as good as a car that has been buffed up..
...  and 'She' lights up when it is dark.. without being glaringly obvious..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 03, 2023, 03:00:54 PMI call her 'She' because she takes me where I want to go..' She' never lets me down and her workings are not complicated..
'She' never jumps a light..  'She' doesn't need a piercing horn to let you know she is around..
'She' never rushes anywhere but still arrives in time.
'She' loves a bubble bath in Fairy Liquid.. and looks as good as a car that has been buffed up..
...  and 'She' lights up when it is dark.. without being glaringly obvious..
Sounds like me, though I don't like bubble baths in Fairy Liquid.
Plain, ordinary soap will do me.

Ruthio

Thats a great tip to drive in 2nd gear for 20mph and 3rd gear for 30mph, thanks for that!
I find it really difficult to stay at 20mph, my Cooper is busting to go faster!! 🚗