mixed feelings

Started by Michael Rolls, August 31, 2023, 07:38:58 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

and I used to be able to support a hundredweight bag of cement or similar above my head with one hand - that's eight stone. Needed two hands to lift it off the ground, though - and at 16 I did a 440 in 60 seconds - ah, the memories  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

Perhaps you could ask your neighbour to go up ladders to change bulbs ect, I really don't think you should attempt it yourself. Safety before pride.. :worried:

Michael Rolls

don't worry, I will. Pride is no longer my middle name! Must say, my balance has got noticeably worse in the last three months or so.
[email protected]

Raven

Maybe a chat with your GP? I know there is a Clinic at PRI for balance they give you all sorts of tests to find the cause and help recovery, but you need to be refered. It's up at the top of Taymount Terr off Rose Cres, parking is not a problem up there and it's only a few yards to the door and the Clinic is at the right of the door.

Alex

Balance declines as we age but perhaps there is some 'fixable' reason for your balance problem ? ears, thyroid ? As Raven suggests a visit to your GP may help  :upvote:

JBR

Many years ago, I had labyrinthitis and I was unable to stand upright without falling over for a week or two. I had to take time off work.  A really horrible feeling which also brought on nausea.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Diasi

I ordered some Whiskas cat food in bulk & it came today in 12 boxes of 12 pouches in a polythene wrapping with strapping tapes.

The delivery driver carried them up the drive using both hands & when he saw me he said it was quite heavy & would I be ok so I thanked him for asking, took the package from him & tucked it under my right arm.

His face was a picture. Lol

Then a few minutes ago a Microwave combi oven was delivered & the same thing, when the driver saw me, about it's weight & was I ok with it.

He knew I was when I picked it up one-handed with one of the finger holes.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

My late brother had a real problem with falls and was referred to a falls clinic, which he found absolutely no helpat all. Oddly enough, today my legs and balance have been better than for some time, so I may just cross my fingers for a while
[email protected]

klondike

Given the huge waits in the NHS I'd advise making a start on getting it looked at right now.

Michael Rolls

I think that I will try and get a GP appointment next week
[email protected]

Sheila

Quote from: Alex on August 31, 2023, 07:56:22 PMSometimes I think it's the luck of the draw.(Health)  I can't walk the length and breadth of cities as I did up to 3 years ago, yet my friend who is exactly the same age as me is in a bloody ramblers club ! 

Have you thought about one of those mini exercisers, to use while you're sitting ? supposed to help improve mobility.

https://orbitrek-mx.thanedirect.co.uk/?
I bought one of these and it hasn't helped.

I did a pulmonary rehabilitation course at the hospital and one of the exercises was to sit in a steady chair or on the edge of a bed, cross my hands across my chest and stand up and sit down.  I think this is one of the best exercises for strengthening legs.  They did say that, if you have dodgy lungs, your legs can become weaker.  I have bursitis in my hip at the moment and that is limiting what I can do so I can feel my legs becoming weaker.

Scrumpy

Quote from: Sheila on September 02, 2023, 08:38:54 AMI bought one of these and it hasn't helped.

I did a pulmonary rehabilitation course at the hospital and one of the exercises was to sit in a steady chair or on the edge of a bed, cross my hands across my chest and stand up and sit down.  I think this is one of the best exercises for strengthening legs.  They did say that, if you have dodgy lungs, your legs can become weaker.  I have bursitis in my hip at the moment and that is limiting what I can do so I can feel my legs becoming weaker.
Sheila.. I have just done that exercise sitting on my kitchen chair.. I passed.. :clap:

September 02, 2023, 11:57:10 AM
Quote from: Michael Rolls on September 02, 2023, 03:14:13 AMI think that I will try and get a GP appointment next week

Don't 'think about it'... bloody do it..
You know it makes sense.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

ain't that easy - trying for an appointment is like searching for the Holy Grail
[email protected]

klondike

Take a look at the Livi app. If your GP supports it you can get a video appointment on phone or tablet pretty quickly. 

I've used it several times and you can get referrals to the next level beyond the GP although the GP surgery does seem to police that to a degree. I used it the other day as I have a Dupuytren's related problem with one of my fingers and thought I was getting an appointment with a physician but have just had a letter which says I'll be contracted by a hospital orthopedic traige service.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]