mixed feelings

Started by Michael Rolls, August 31, 2023, 07:38:58 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

I don't know why, but my legs have deteriorated considerably over the last few months. Six months ago, although I tired pretty easily, I could walk as well as most. Now I am staggering around like a feeble old man - well, to be fair, I am a feeble old man, but you you know what I mean - final straw was a couple of falls this week. Thankfully, in each case I was able to grab onto something on the way down, but that was luck. This morning, up until early lunch time I was very wobbly indeed, so I have accepted the seemingly inevitable and ordered a tri-walker.
Can't believe it - Veronica had such a device as she became more and more disabled. After she died, through a mutual friend, I passed it on to a lady on the village who had need need of such a device. Never in my worst nightmare did I imagine that I would need one myself
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Sorry to hear that Mike. You certainly need to apply for a Blue card which should make things a little easier for you.

Raven

Oh Mike, I know just how you feel. After my knee replacements my balance was bad, but I managed and took my dads staff walking stick when I was out with the dogs. NOW, after my fall back at the start of the year my balance is so much worse, it scares me sometimes. I'm really dreading this coming winter the thought of falling on ice again fills me with terror, I don't understand why my balance has gone like this, only time I walk ok is in the pool and I can fire up n down the lengths no bother.

Michael Rolls

well, Veronica had one, but the form filling and that were horrendous, she was much more disabled than myself  - in fact, on a good day I really don't feel that I could claim to be eligible - but if things get worse....

August 31, 2023, 07:54:15 PM
Quote from: Raven on August 31, 2023, 07:52:03 PMOh Mike, I know just how you feel. After my knee replacements my balance was bad, but I managed and took my dads staff walking stick when I was out with the dogs. NOW, after my fall back at the start of the year my balance is so much worse, it scares me sometimes. I'm really dreading this coming winter the thought of falling on ice again fills me with terror, I don't understand why my balance has gone like this, only time I walk ok is in the pool and I can fire up n down the lengths no bother.
I don't understand it - six months or so I was fine.
[email protected]

Raven

You should apply for mobility, if you can get the highest rate you will have no problem getting a blue badge. Phone Welfare Rights and they will help you get it.

Alex

Sometimes I think it's the luck of the draw.(Health)  I can't walk the length and breadth of cities as I did up to 3 years ago, yet my friend who is exactly the same age as me is in a bloody ramblers club ! 

Have you thought about one of those mini exercisers, to use while you're sitting ? supposed to help improve mobility.

https://orbitrek-mx.thanedirect.co.uk/?

Raven

Quote from: Alex on August 31, 2023, 07:56:22 PMSometimes I think it's the luck of the draw.(Health)  I can't walk the length and breadth of cities as I did up to 3 years ago, yet my friend who is exactly the same age as me is in a bloody ramblers club ! 

Have you thought about one of those mini exercisers, to use while you're sitting ? supposed to help improve mobility.

Good Idea, I got the Cubii one a couple of years ago. It's great, helped with my recovery as well.

GrannyMac

Quote from: Raven on August 31, 2023, 07:55:43 PMYou should apply for mobility, if you can get the highest rate you will have no problem getting a blue badge. Phone Welfare Rights and they will help you get it.
You can't apply for PIP (Adult Disability Payment in Scotland) after you reach state pension age, only Attendance Allowance, and there isn't a mobility element as such in it.  You have to be a recipient before that cut off.  Quite discriminatory against older people IMO, as two people of the same age, say 70, can have the same condition, but won't qualify for the same benefits, as one claimed just before they got to state pension age, and one didn't.

https://www.mygov.scot/adult-disability-payment/applicants

Mike would most probably qualify for AA, and for a blue badge.  Age UK has a really helpful guide to completing these forms. 

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

Michael.. If you struggle with your walking then you need to apply for a badge....
It isn't as if you are pretending.. Just do it man.. and use it when you feel that you need it.. I think you will find it a great help..
Anyway... you are entitled to it..

Listen to what GrannyMac is saying..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

Quote from: Alex on August 31, 2023, 07:56:22 PMSometimes I think it's the luck of the draw.(Health)  I can't walk the length and breadth of cities as I did up to 3 years ago, yet my friend who is exactly the same age as me is in a bloody ramblers club ! 

An older friend of mine, I think she's just turned 80, still does the local park run most weeks. I'm lucky if I can get to the park on foot some days.  😢
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

I do exercises just about every day - 10 minutes on the treadmill, 20-30 minutes of exercises including squats, a variety of arm and back exercises and 15 laps of the house, which equates to around 600 yards - this is why these sudden wobbles are so confusing
[email protected]

Diasi

I hope I'm not tempting fate, but I suppose I must consider myself fortunate as I can still do everything I've always been able to do, including ladders & heavy lifting.

It's been put to the test in the past few days when I've helped my young female friend to clear out her old home & will be put to the test in the next few days when I help her to move into her new home.

I have had the "you shouldn't really be doing that" lectures from her. Lol :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

fingers crossed, Phil. This is what is so frustrating. My balance is very poor - I dread having to change a light bulb, for example as I am very unsteady if I have to reach above my head, that sort of thing I struggle to lift the watering can- five litres - if I have filled it fully. And to think one the things they had us do in RAF basic training was to jog with someone of your own weight slung over your shoulder!
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on September 01, 2023, 07:31:35 AMfingers crossed, Phil. This is what is so frustrating. My balance is very poor - I dread having to change a light bulb, for example as I am very unsteady if I have to reach above my head, that sort of thing I struggle to lift the watering can- five litres - if I have filled it fully. And to think one the things they had us do in RAF basic training was to jog with someone of your own weight slung over your shoulder!
My balance is fine & I'm still ok lifting things up to 35kg, which I'll be doing during the next few days.

I'm also ok carrying heavy shopping from Morrisons to our house but it's only around 800 metres.

When I went to church, as a youngster, the vicar used to say something about this 'transitory life' in one of the prayers & it's only now that I realise the significance of it.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

We all remember what we (could) do.. And it comes as a shock when we are not able to do it all.. I have noticed a difference in the past twelve months .. Lifting.. Walking up hills.. Climbing up ladders.. Some have good days and bad days..
BUT we must accept the FACT that we are ageing.. Diasi is fortunate that he is still able to do many things.. Old people run marathons and climb mountains.. But not ALL old people are able to do this..
Life becomes much easier if we help ourselves to manage it.. A stick.. A badge..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..