Climate Change, Heat Pumps & EVs.

Started by Diasi, August 07, 2023, 08:17:33 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

We'd only need 30 times as many windmills to support all the demand today when I grabbed this. How many more when all cars are EV and all heating is by heat pump?

Ashy

Today we probably couldn't generate enough electricity from the wind no matter how many windmills we had. The Met Office surface pressure chart has no isobars over the British Isles. Not something we see very often but it happens from time to time.

klondike

Yep. They'll need to get some AA from Amazon soon

klondike

It will surely have been an excellent day for the people smugglers today. Maybe a record.

klondike

I just read this in an article. Luckily I wasn't drinking anything at the time....

The drawback of wind energy is that it is intermittent because it cannot be generated when the wind does not blow, and there is no other technology to fill in the gaps, Mr. Montford told EpochTV's "American Thought Leaders" on July  7.

There is also no way of storing energy in reserve, he added. "It's like jumping out of an airplane without a parachute and hoping that somebody invents one on the way down."

https://www.theepochtimes.com/world/in-depth-achieving-net-zero-goal-could-lead-to-energy-rationing-says-uk-activist-5436022

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

The latest suggestion is to not have your heating on in the evenings. I suspect that this is likely to herald increased electricity pricing at peak times (ie when people, in general, need to use it).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/08/26/new-net-zero-advice-turn-heating-up-only-during-the-day/

The Climate Change Committee (CCC) said people should turn off their radiators at peak times as part of a wider drive to deliver "emissions savings".

In a document on "behaviour change" the body recommended Britons "pre-heat" their houses in the afternoon when electricity usage is lower.

It said the move would save families money, but critics suggested the real reason was that renewables will not be able to provide enough energy to cope with peak demand.

The advice is contained in the CCC's sixth "carbon budget" paper, which sets out how the U.K. should reduce its emissions between 2033-37.

Diasi

It amazes me that these so-called experts & academics publish these papers that announce what anyone with a working brain cell has already worked out for themselves.

Currently, the combined electricity generated by renewables + nuclear + biomass is providing less than half the electricity being used.

So without gas powered electricity generation half of the UK's electricity usage would have to be turned off.

All you need to do is look at the National Grid: Live demand & then add up all the power being generated by renewables, nuclear & biomass.

This will show you the shortfall between supply & demand if gas & coal are taken out of the supply.

https://grid.iamkate.com
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Plus the inconvenient fact that they want to massively increase electricity use with EVs and heat pumps. 

The only way the circle can be squared is by curtailing personal car use and telling us to go to bed and use lots of blankets at 7pm in winter. The reduction in car use has already started with 15 minute zones and will doubtless be extended with country wide pay per mile at exorbitant rates.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on August 28, 2023, 08:39:06 AMPlus the inconvenient fact that they want to massively increase electricity use with EVs and heat pumps.

The only way the circle can be squared is by curtailing personal car use and telling us to go to bed and use lots of blankets at 7pm in winter. The reduction in car use has already started with 15 minute zones and will doubtless be extended with country wide pay per mile at exorbitant rates.
The UK's net zero aim is nothing more than a combination of political virtue signalling combined with money-making scams for green energy spivs.

If, by some miracle, the UK did achieve net zero, we'd have reduced total global emissions by 1%.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

probably not even that, as India, China and the USA between them probably produce more emissions in a day than we do in a year - and their usage shows no sign of decreasing.
[email protected]

Raven

It's just another way to keep us under control.

Michael Rolls

are these clowns for real? Turn off radiators at peak times? Can't they understand that peak times are when folk want their radiators on - that's why they're peak times!
[email protected]

klondike

There is a degree of sense in it. They are only talking about electric heat pumps which already demand a high degree of insulation. They are saying pre heat the home in off peak periods. It's what used to be done with economy 7 storage radiators. It would sort of work but is very inflexible.

Things like this just highlight what a pie in the sky the aspiration is. As Diasi has pointed out our energy use is so low relative to others that whatever we do globally will make no difference. We have exported all our energy intensive industry or rather deported it with our green subsidy high cost energy. Luckily for the planet I doubt it makes any difference what anybody does as I have stopped believing there is a huge problem caused by man. I'm not even sure if there really is a problem as so much of the data is being fiddled to make it appear that there is one.

Michael Rolls

when are the peak periods? Breakfast time, lunch time and the evenings - so, miss breakfast, shiver at lunchtime, and put your overcoat on to watch TV in the evenings after tea/dinner Rubbish idea oh, and to save the planet I now only heat the lounge and the kitchen in the winter - all other heating turned off. As the bungalow is fairly large, effectively living in two rooms is frustrating, but not a disaster
[email protected]