more on net zero

Started by Michael Rolls, November 05, 2022, 10:05:47 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

the government are committed (if only) to reducing carbon emissions from public buildings by 75% by 2035. The likely cast, based on current values - so not the actual cost possibly by a long way? A cool £25-30 BILLION! Comes, apparently from a FOI request and reported on the BBC News website
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Ashy

Generally I see saving energy especially heat as a good thing, because waste tends to be a bad thing, but I don't accept that man has any influence over the climate. The earth only has to orbit slightly closer to the sun for it to warm up and vice versa. The earth's orbit isn't circular or planar.

Michael Rolls

but the tree huggers are in denial over such obvious facts
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

It's an old thread but as this is more on net zero it fits in here & it's my second  :wtf: moment today!!

https://tinyurl.com/mw8pcu62
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

More of the Tory 'nett zero' nonsense!
You can tell that they're fed up with being in government and want someone else to take over.
And to think that I have voted for them throughout my life.  🙄
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

All the houses in this area were build around 1900 and have solid walls. A house near me is being fitted out with exterior insulation. I think there are grants for this but only if you are on benefits. There would be no point me doing the same as the payback time is likely to exceed my lifetime even with high energy costs.

Ah well how about solar panels? I have roofs that face East West and North but no South facing roof.

September 02, 2023, 01:05:04 PM
I checked. There is up to a 25% non means tested grant for external insulation. An estimate of cost and savings (very rough)

Stats from the Energy Saving Trust (EST) correlate with this: it says the typical installation cost of external wall insulation on a three-bedroom semi-detached home is around £10,000.

When it comes to energy bill savings, the EST says fitting EWI could save you £255 a year (based on fuel prices as of November 2021). With household bills set to skyrocket, the cost of future utilities is unpredictable. You can be sure, however, that having external wall insulation will keep bills lower than leaving your walls uninsulated.

Allowing for inflation (mid terrace like mine is estimated at £8,000) and higher fuel costs I'd still say that's a 20 year payback and if bought on finance even longer.

If somebody owned this house and wanted to or was renting it out then I don't doubt that soon enough they'll be forced into insulating it. I suspect instead they'd sell it so reducing even further the pool of rented houses.