Smoking

Started by Silver Tabby, March 29, 2024, 03:42:09 PM

« previous - next »

Silver Tabby

How you feel about it?

My mother was a 40 cigarettes a day person - so I grew up in house that stank - and hated it. Have never allowed anyone to smoke in my home, and was grateful when smoking was banned in restaurants as so many evenings out were ruined by smoke.

However - I do think things have gone too far.  People should be allowed to smoke freely in their own environment without fear of criticism.  Perhaps pubs/bars/hotels etc., should reintroduce the concept of a 'Smoking Room'

JBR

My dad smoked like a chimney (Capstan Full Strength, perpetually 'recycling' his dog ends) and lived until nearly 80, though in ill-health.

If people want to smoke, let them.  Of course, they will have to understand that as the NHS continues to morph from healthcare into bureaucracy, the chances of their illnesses being addressed are likely to dwindle noticeably.

When we are obliged to pay for our healthcare by going privately, the same smokers won't be able to afford to do so.  Another consequence to consider.

(That's funny!  I'm sure I just posted this.  Oh, hang on.  It was in t'other place!)
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

GrannyMac

My parents smoked, my in-laws smoked, OH and I smoked.  We stopped about 30 years ago, not touched one since!  Thankfully our children didn't pick up the habit.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

I used to smoke way back when it was fashionable to do so.. We had no idea of the dangers..
I would hate it if a smoker was taking up a bed being treated for lung problems caused by smoking and one of my family was desperate for a bed..
 Let smokers smoke in their own homes.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

I'm an ex smoker too, I stopped in 1984 and by that time I was smoking 30+ a day.   I'm glad the smoking ban in pubs came in, it would be a mistake to bring back a ' smoking room' I think.  What people do in their own homes is up to them !

Mups

Quote from: Alex on March 29, 2024, 07:56:50 PMI'm an ex smoker too, I stopped in 1984 and by that time I was smoking 30+ a day.  I'm glad the smoking ban in pubs came in, it would be a mistake to bring back a ' smoking room' I think.  What people do in their own homes is up to them !

I agree in a way,  but even at home, the kids and pets still have to inhale it.
Perhaps they should smoke in their garden?

I say this, because the other day I saw a driver puffing away in his car,  and I felt so sorry for the poor dog sitting on the back seat.   It must have been choking with their sensitive noses. 

JBR

I have never bothered to even try cigarettes as I found them to smell horrible.
I did try a pipe for a time, but that was a bit too strong for me and, on occasions, make me feel sick.

I did, however, smoke small cigars, Cafe Creme usually, and enjoyed inhaling the smoke.  That increased until it was usual for me to smoke a whole tin of ten routinely.  I have done that for about thirty years or so.  Although I gave up smoking about fifteen years ago, I feel that I could still enjoy a small cigar.  However, I have not succumbed despite the attractions.

My one pride, however, was that one day I said to Marge that I would stop smoking them.  I did - instantly, and have never smoked since.  It wasn't easy, but I stuck to my guns.  I suppose I must be a man of principal!  😏
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

my first wife and I both smoked heavily. We bought our house in 1968 and had only had it a few months when the interest rates rocketed. Realised that we could continue to smoke or pay the mortgage but not both so we  stopped smoking there and then.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Flu cured me. After a week half dead rather than force a fag down an unwilling throat (smokers and ex smokers will understand that I'm sure) I decided that after week without smoking I must have given up so just carried on as an ex smoker. I had been on about 30 a day.

ansu

I have never smoked, but my father was a heavy smoker. When he was so ill that he nearly couldn't breathe anymore he stopped from one day to the other, but on the whole it was too late. So I think every step should be undertaken to stop people from smoking, above all the young generation. It's disavantageous to the health, costs a lot of money - not only the smokers, but also the public (hospitals etc.) and I was told that the so-called E-cigarettes are no good alternative, as they, too, are detrimental to health (the flavours added).

muddy

Some countries have gone totally smoke free and it works .
Once everyon can't buy or sell or smoke they lose the habit .

1955vintage

I had my first fag at 11 and my last at 61. I was a 30 a day man who thoroughly enjoyed a smoke. Didn't like pipes or cigars, but enjoyed ciggies. All started because I was good at cricket, and played with the older boys who were smoking, I obviously had to fit in.

In the last couple of years, my heart has had issues and I have had an aortic aneurism, so the money wasted on fags has come back to haunt me. Nobody's fault but mine.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

klondike

Not certain when I packed up. I retired at 62 and had aleady packed up before that so I'd guess smewhere in my mid to late fifties. No ill effects showing yet so maybe I got away with it.