"Frankin's Days"

Started by Silver Tabby, Yesterday at 10:57:37 AM

« previous - next »

Silver Tabby

In these "Frankin's Days' beware late and destructive frosts, thunder, and unreliable weather.

According to a Devon legend, the sharp frosts which sometimes occur about this time are the revenge of one Frankin, a Beer brwer, put out of business by competition from Cider. He therefore vowed his soul to the Devil in return for frosts on each of three 'Frankin's Days' around May 21st, hoping that these would kill the apple blossom and ruin the Cider crop.

May weather is consider too unreliable for shorn sheep, which may take cold and die; and thunder this month presages a poor Summer and a bad harvest.

Shear your sheep in May
you'll shear them all away.

Thunder in May
frightens Summer away!

c 930 ad

JBR

Quote from: Silver Tabby on Yesterday at 10:57:37 AMIn these "Frankin's Days' beware late and destructive frosts, thunder, and unreliable weather.

According to a Devon legend, the sharp frosts which sometimes occur about this time are the revenge of one Frankin, a Beer brwer, put out of business by competition from Cider. He therefore vowed his soul to the Devil in return for frosts on each of three 'Frankin's Days' around May 21st, hoping that these would kill the apple blossom and ruin the Cider crop.

May weather is consider too unreliable for shorn sheep, which may take cold and die; and thunder this month presages a poor Summer and a bad harvest.

Shear your sheep in May
you'll shear them all away.

Thunder in May
frightens Summer away!

c 930 ad
Very interesting.  I had no idea about this.
On the other hand, we have had some beautiful weather this month.
However, I shall put off shearing our sheep, and won't allow Marge to cut my hair for the same reason.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Silver Tabby

Sounds like a plan, JBR.

klondike

Nay cast a clout afore May is out. Except it means May blossom rather than the month.

I shall ensure no clouts get cast afore these Frankin days are out either.

GrannyMac

Two schools of thought on that.  This is an old rhyme:

The wind at North snd East
Was never good for man nor beast
So never think to cast a clout
Until the Month of May be out.

My granny made us wear our vests til June.  😊
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

Quote from: klondike on Yesterday at 01:51:31 PMNay cast a clout afore May is out. Except it means May blossom rather than the month.

Quote from: GrannyMac on Yesterday at 03:37:57 PMSo never think to cast a clout
Until the Month of May be out.

How interesting.. I am now confused.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..