it was my first time when,

Started by alfred, February 04, 2022, 08:30:39 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

i was 10 years old and in w.w.2, and it was my first time when i saw my first real egg which i ate with curiosity . as then i had  had plenty of the American powdered egg, which my mother used to scoop out of a tin and then mix it with water or milk.

next was when i saw my first banana, and much later the ability to go into a sweet shop and buy what ever was available as by then suger  rationing was no longer applied and the shops sold many varieties of sweets to which for a young child then was absolute magic.

Q; so what do you remember of w.w.2 and what was your first time when you saw some thing which was short or rarely seen then ,and will you tell us your story.

Michael Rolls

shelters listening to bombs, V-1s,finding shrapnel in the street. Can't remember the first time I saw a banana, but it would have been after the war. I remember powdered egg and cheese so unpleasant it wasn't until years later that I discovered I liked cheese! The awful margarine
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

I'm too young!  Not often I can say that these days.  :grin:
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

crabbyob

My Mother was a great whist player and i remember her coming in a wakening me and giving me an orange, i had no idea what i was supposed to do with it 'eat it' i was told so i bit it, much to the amusement of the household [we all lived at my Grannies] so i never much liked oranges...lol... then a few month later we had a repeat performance with a banana, again i just bit it...sigh, my family were easily amused...
and powdered egg made great scrambled egg, and my gran loved it for baking, we got extra rations cause my grandad was a miner, i remember biscuits that couldnt be bitten, they required soaking..yeuch....

crabbyob

i cant remember how many eggs we were allowed during rationing
but i think most folk of our age were introduced to eggs via the top of our fathers boiled egg..

GrannyMac

I remember my mother saying she and her siblings would hope for the top of their father's egg.  7 children in a two room and scullery flat, the girls slept in the next close (next door block) at their grandparents'.

I think I was quite lucky, as an only child.  My father had a salaried job, and my mother was an excellent cook and baker.

Diasi

I remember the Utility labels on shoes, clothing, blankets etc.

It was like the PacMan character.

The 1970's weren't too good either, I doubt that today's young families would survive either period based on how they're whinging at the moment.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

I was thinking about the 70s Diasi, when I was watching the news the other day, and a woman running some foodbanks in Doncaster was being interviewed.

The early 70s was a very tough time for us as a family, never been so hard up before or since. We did get milk tokens, which I'm sure others will remember, but no other help. It was also before Family Allowance was paid for the first child.