Microsoft one time code

Started by Michael Rolls, August 22, 2023, 07:10:48 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

several times a day for over a week now, I get an e-mail purporting to be from Microsoft giving me 'my one time code'. I simply delete them without opening them. I suppose in theory they would allow entry to the MS shop, something in which i have no interest, and I am convinced it must be a scam of some sort, but I wonder if anyone else has been bombarded in like fashion
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

thanks, K - looks like I was right to be suspicious
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

I only looked at it briefly but it mentions an MS based email a account and from the admin panel I see you use a gmail account here. You need to check the email to see if there is some clue what account it is for (a Microsoft account?) and change the password on that. If it is an account with a number (Eg MikeR1234 etc) then it may just be somebody who forgot a password and got their email wrong too.

Michael Rolls

when you say check the e-mail, do  you mean the 'one time code ' one? TBH I don't even know if I an MS account, if I do it's something that I have never, to the best of my memory, used. I have a gmail and hotmail both of which I check at least once a day, usually a good bit more often - I use Thunderbird for them
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

when I go into my two accounts, via Thunderbird, each gives 'account settings' and the  relvant e-mail address, so presumably I do have an MS account but no idea if I have a passwrld for it - but then, as I mentioned, to the best of my memory I have never accessed it, and no idea why I might want to.
[email protected]

klondike

Microsoft own Hotmail so if it is an email account its that one. What enil does it go to? What does it say the  code is for..

Michael Rolls

there's no mention of a code in the account information - or do you mean one of these 'one time code' emails? Sorry to be so dense
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

Yes the email. There should be some clue in ot about what it is for. At least you should see which of your emails it was sent to.

Ashy

I don't think they would send a one time code to the email you were locked out of.

klondike

Quote from: Ashy on August 22, 2023, 12:53:11 PMI don't think they would send a one time code to the email you were locked out of.
It isn't necessarily an email account. Most email accounts you register a backup email for precisely that reason
So if it was about an email account and went to Gmail it is likely the Microsoft Hotmail account and vice versa.

Michael Rolls

greatly daring, I opened the e-mail

>>
Hi [email protected],

We've received your request for a single-use code to use with your Microsoft account.

Your single-use code is: 1198132

If you didn't request this code, you can safely ignore this email. Someone else might have typed your email address by mistake.

Thanks,
The Microsoft account team<<
Bit of a loss
[email protected]

klondike

Your email has a number. There is every chance that somebody has a similar email but with a different number. Do what they say and ignore the email.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]