heating

Started by Michael Rolls, December 18, 2022, 09:53:44 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Checking the electricity usage, I was horrified to see that this week's usage was fractionally higher than two of the previous four years and close to the other two. I don't understand it. In previous years I have had the heating on in the hall and the dining room, I have had it on in the bedroom for at least a couple of hours, sometimes overnight, I've had the thermostats set higher – what is going on?
Oh, forgot the utility room which I heated in previous years
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

You're obviously a better record keeper than me. Your higher usage will be because the current cold snap is deeper than anything we've had in a long time at this time of year. Colder outside means more heat transfer from inside so more energy used to maintain temperature.

Not sure about where you are but here I'd expect it to be around 5C now. Instead it has been closer to 0C. I may have turned the stat down by a degree or two but to I'd need to drop it by 5C to maintain the same temperature differential.

Michael Rolls

today the outside temp is 2C - yesterday was 1C - first time in a week it has been over zero. Haven't recorded - as opposed to noted - the temps in the previous years. Could be they weren't quite as cold
[email protected]

klondike

I know they weren't here. This pre Christmas freeze is a bit of a fluke these days.

Here is my weather station for Dec 2021. You can select any year back to when I started uploading the numbers.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/INORTHAM95/table/2021-12-18/2021-12-18/monthly

Michael Rolls

cor! Compared to here and now - that was positively balmy!
[email protected]