Global warming and the Great Barrier Reef

Started by klondike, February 15, 2022, 10:58:24 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Now we all know that global warming is destroying The Great Barrier Reef don't we. We have been told so time after time. So what does science have to say on the subject. Er well...

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/02/14/sea-temperatures-at-the-great-barrier-reef-havent-warmed-in-150-years-newly-uncovered-data-show/

Sea Temperatures at the Great Barrier Reef Haven't Increased in 150 Years, Newly Uncovered Data Show

An 1871 dataset of sea temperatures across the Great Barrier Reef in Australia has been compared to recent measurements logged at the same reef areas. No differences in temperature were found by Dr. Bill Johnson, leading him to conclude: "Alarming claims that the East Australian Current has warmed due to global warming are therefore without foundation."

The 1871 temperatures were taken by the SS Governor Blackall steamship on a voyage around the Australian east coast to observe a total eclipse of the sun in the north of the continent. Hourly measurements were made between 6am and 6pm every day in the voyage from Port Stanley, north of Sydney, to Cape York and repeated on the journey back. Dr. Johnson, a former research scientist at the New South Wales Department of Natural Resources, allowed for the considerable seasonal variations in temperature across the reef but concluded that nothing much had changed. He said there was no evidence that the system regulating temperature had broken down "or is likely to break down in the future".

Needless to say, such stories do not tend to appear in the media, most of which is firmly wedded to the notion that human-caused global warming is destroying the coral reefs around the world.  In October 2020, the BBC reported that the Great Barrier Reef had lost half of its coral since 1995, citing a report that said it was due to "warmer seas driven by climate change". But Professor Peter Ridd, who has spent 40 years observing the reef, noted recently that it was in robust good health. Coral growth rates have if anything "increased over the last 100 years". The graph below, compiled by Ridd from Australian Institute of Marine Science records, illustrates recent growth.

Michael Rolls

Not really surprised. There is a lot of hot air (!) spoken and written about global warming
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Try telling that to Greta Thunberg.. She will throw a wobbly..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

as far as I am concerned, she is a wobbly
Mike
[email protected]

Alex

hugh

Certainly a lot of hot air Mike making the ice melt and the sea level rise. A few years back we got plenty of snow and frosty days. This year snow which lasted one day and a few frosty morning.
Happy Golfer

Raven

Quote from: hugh on February 15, 2022, 04:28:05 PM
Certainly a lot of hot air Mike making the ice melt and the sea level rise. A few years back we got plenty of snow and frosty days. This year snow which lasted one day and a few frosty morning.

A good bit more than that up here Hugh, but you live in the warmer South.  :scot:

Michael Rolls

Weather is cyclical. How many times does this have to happen before the message gets through?
Thirty years or so we sere told a new ice age was coming. Then it wasn't.
[email protected]