At last a sentence not suspended !

Started by Alex, September 25, 2023, 07:37:43 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

They go on something for sentencing advice. I'm sure Cass can explain if he sees this.

Raven

I'm not reading anything about it, but am so glad judges are starting to deal with animal abuse properly. I say starting as it still needs a big improvement, Hopefully it will come soon.

JBR

Quote from: Alex on September 26, 2023, 04:03:24 PMI agree with you JBR, but the last few weeks stronger sentences have been given out a few times so I'm just wondering if judges are at last hearing what the public wants.
I sincerely hope so.
Crime certainly seems to be on the increase these days.  Certainly, shoplifting is becoming far more frequent, according to the news, to the extent that some places tell their staff not to become involved and just let them run off with whatever they have lifted.
OK, it is regarded as a minor crime, but who pays for it?  We do, when prices increase to cover the losses.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Here's what happens if you do get involved

Subsequently suffered a stroke and can no longer work. Halfords say it was his own fault. The message to all Halfords' staff must be clear - just look the other way. As he got physical with the shoplifters IMO it's likely that the courts will agree with Halfords and he'll get bugger all.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/26/durham-halfords-manager-kicked-in-head-by-shoplifters-blamed-by-firm-19557347/

Alex

Poor man, another firm to avoid if you're looking for a job !

klondike

Whenever I go in the local one there's nobody in sight as a rule.  I guess there must be lots of shoplifters around here  :rolleyes:

Scrumpy

They are all hiding. !!

I think the woman was brave.. stepping in..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on September 26, 2023, 05:05:52 PMThey go on something for sentencing advice. I'm sure Cass can explain if he sees this.

The Animal Welfare Act (2006) has had a review upon sentencing guidelines from July 2023.

This despicable treatment to a poor frail little dog is definitely in this category and therefore in the instance of high level culpability the Maximum detention is 5 years' custody.

There are two other classifications of cruelty, Medium and Low, much like manslaughter.

These guidelines (for all crimes) are circulated to the Judiciary as inserts, within the referral volumes to the crimes they are assigned to and apply from the date of revision. In other words dependent on the trial's content and the defendants attitude, it lays out the levels of punishment that are permitted for sentencing. This category starts with a low-level community order, even for a high-level conviction.

As always it depends on the Judge concerned and prevents the ungodly being incarcerated for life, by such as the likes of me - (and there were plenty of us in my time) limited to puny, snowflake fines or community orders.

I would like to see at least 10 years as a maximum, because most of these obscene individuals would still be out in a real time of  5 anyway.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on September 27, 2023, 01:44:26 PMThe Animal Welfare Act (2006) has had a review upon sentencing guidelines from July 2023.

This despicable treatment to a poor frail little dog is definitely in this category and therefore in the instance of high level culpability the Maximum detention is 5 years' custody.

There are two other classifications of cruelty, Medium and Low, much like manslaughter.

These guidelines (for all crimes) are circulated to the Judiciary as inserts, within the referral volumes to the crimes they are assigned to and apply from the date of revision. In other words dependent on the trial's content and the defendants attitude, it lays out the levels of punishment that are permitted for sentencing. This category starts with a low-level community order, even for a high-level conviction.

As always it depends on the Judge concerned and prevents the ungodly being incarcerated for life, by such as the likes of me - (and there were plenty of us in my time) limited to puny, snowflake fines or community orders.

I would like to see at least 10 years as a maximum, because most of these obscene individuals would still be out in a real time of  5 anyway.
Quote from: klondike on September 27, 2023, 11:14:37 AMHere's what happens if you do get involved

Subsequently suffered a stroke and can no longer work. Halfords say it was his own fault. The message to all Halfords' staff must be clear - just look the other way. As he got physical with the shoplifters IMO it's likely that the courts will agree with Halfords and he'll get bugger all.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/26/durham-halfords-manager-kicked-in-head-by-shoplifters-blamed-by-firm-19557347/
I look forward to the possibility that one day, if ever there is an incident like this in a shop, someone would press a button which both set off an alarm and locked all the doors.  They should then call the police for all such activities.

Of course, I realise that there are two major problems with this idea.
Firstly, it may be hours before any police turn up, if at all.
Secondly, even if they are arrested and even charged, a kindly judge will give them a friendly telling-off.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

I'm more interested in animal cruelty being punished !  Shop lifting is low down on my list  of "if I could get my hands on them "