Films

Started by zoony, December 21, 2021, 09:37:07 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Quote from: zoony on January 31, 2022, 02:43:47 PM
I only ask that, before posting on a new film we guard against plot spoilers.. whether we think they are or not? :shh:
Fair enough - mea culpa
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

zoony

Thank you Mike for a civil response.  :grin:

zoony

I just binged the last 3 episodes of The Responder.. What a brilliant actor Martin Freeman has become..The series overall I'd call a cut above.

Michael Rolls

gave up on it after about 20 minutes. I could cope with Freeman's accent - but the others were gobbledegook to my ears
Mike
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Watched a real swashbuckler of a film 'Outcast'. Set in the 12th century, first in the Middle East, then in China, straightforward action. Made in 2014, with Nicolas Cage - one of my favourite actors - and Hayden Christensen, of whom I had not previously heard. Don't expect anything subtle - 70 years ago it would have been the sort of film to feature Errol Flynn!
Mike
[email protected]

crabbyob

so was there sex in it???? :duel:

Michael Rolls

Quote from: crabbyob on February 01, 2022, 09:04:36 AM
so was there sex in it???? :duel:
No - pleasant change from some of late.
Mike
[email protected]

crabbyob

Flynn hated the English it seems, yet David Niven was his best pal, or was Niven a Jock, i'm not sure.
both of their life stories are well worth reading...

Michael Rolls

I remember reading one on David Niven's book (The Moon's a Balloon?) in which he recounted making the mistake of going skiing in inadequate clothing, especially regarding his trousers, culminating in a frantic dash to somewhere warm ushering folk out of his way by yelling 'pallas congalato'. I leave the translation to the imagination
Mike
[email protected]

crabbyob

I just read that David was born in London, then after graduating from Sandhurst he joined the HLI.
he really was quite a guy in real life...

klondike

Quote from: zoony on February 01, 2022, 01:25:55 AM
I just binged the last 3 episodes of The Responder.. What a brilliant actor Martin Freeman has become..The series overall I'd call a cut above.
Maybe I should give the rest a try then after all. No issues with accents - maybe because I've heard so many but I had trouble believing the plot.

klondike

Quote from: Michael Rolls on February 01, 2022, 09:34:44 AM
'pallas congalato'. I leave the translation to the imagination
Having little imagination I tried google. I suspect you have it wrong. Palline congalato seems nearer. Unless the translator is family friendly of course as I think they figure on some menus.  :smiley:

Michael Rolls

wouldn't surprised - read it a long time ago did check for 'frozen' as memory claimed 'galato' - but isn't that icecream?
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

That's gelato which is a sort-of ice cream to the point most would probably just call it ice cream.

It was the balls bit that had me wondering - dual usage in English but possibly not in Italian. I don't know. I just used google translate to confirm it meant what I assumed and it didn't translate pallus.

zoony

Quote from: klondike on February 01, 2022, 10:28:29 AM
Maybe I should give the rest a try then after all. No issues with accents - maybe because I've heard so many but I had trouble believing the plot.

Perhaps the beauty off the story is how much crap he's trying to juggle without letting somebody down.. and then there's his own personal crap.. Brilliant..