Films

Started by zoony, December 21, 2021, 09:37:07 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

I remember reading The Moons a Balloon way back..
Well written .. tongue in cheek.. great humour..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

zoony

Agreed, a lovely and gently amusing book. Followed (?) by 'Bring On The Empty Horses' (I think) also choc-full of anecdotes and memories. A sight better than Geoff Archer's efforts.. Read them a long time ago now..

zoony

I started to watch the new series of 'The Bay' last night, a series I've been enjoying. Anybody else? I lasted just a few minutes. All the main white characters have been replaced by non-white actors. I really enjoyed the lead detective (female, white) but she's disappeared without warning or explanation and the whole cast, or so it seemed, had just been exchanged. I was furious. It's the feckin' LANCASHIRE SEA-SIDE in WINTER in ENGLAND ffs.. It made no sense.. As I said, I could only stand to watch it for a few minutes and turned it off in favour of a Vera.

klondike

I watched the first 2 seasons of The Bay. Didn't know there was a third. I think I'm in season 8 of my Vera rewatch and have got all of season 11 that was around at the time. Grabbed one or two recently but not sure if there are more to come. Still waiting on another season of last Kingdom. Have listened to all the audiobooks of it more than once. I may have to get a video recorder to watch all this stuff for me as I'm struggling to keep up.

Jacqueline

Quote from: zoony on February 01, 2022, 05:54:14 PM
I started to watch the new series of 'The Bay' last night, a series I've been enjoying. Anybody else? I lasted just a few minutes. All the main white characters have been replaced by non-white actors. I really enjoyed the lead detective (female, white) but she's disappeared without warning or explanation and the whole cast, or so it seemed, had just been exchanged. I was furious. It's the feckin' YORKSHIRE SEA-SIDE in WINTER in ENGLAND ffs.. It made no sense.. As I said, I could only stand to watch it for a few minutes and turned it off in favour of a Vera.

Zoony, these things are sent to drive us mad. 

klondike

You need a recorder to watch 'em for you too then  :grin:

Alex

Quote from: zoony on February 01, 2022, 05:54:14 PM
I started to watch the new series of 'The Bay' last night, a series I've been enjoying. Anybody else? I lasted just a few minutes. All the main white characters have been replaced by non-white actors. I really enjoyed the lead detective (female, white) but she's disappeared without warning or explanation and the whole cast, or so it seemed, had just been exchanged. I was furious. It's the feckin' YORKSHIRE SEA-SIDE in WINTER in ENGLAND ffs.. It made no sense.. As I said, I could only stand to watch it for a few minutes and turned it off in favour of a Vera.

A friend said Trigger Point on ITV was ok, so I watched the first episode.  In the first few scenes three out of 4 actors were black or Asian, but it was based in London so that's perhaps how it is down there ? ( Where's Walter when you need him ?  :grin:)     A few years ago when black actors were on screen I didn't really notice, tbh I thought Luther was a hunk.  But because this 'take over' has occured, I find myself noticing, counting even, the amount of non-white actors in a programme.
Plus far too many adverts in Trigger point, maybe that's my imagination but they used to be fewer.

Floydy

I enjoyed the first two series of 'the bay', we're recording the third to binge watch later. My parents used to take us to Morecambe and Blackpool alternate years for our holidays, and we used to take our own children there for a while too, I've some great memories of Morecambe but i'm not sure I'd ever go and stay over again.

Floydy

Quote from: klondike on February 01, 2022, 06:02:47 PM
I may have to get a video recorder to watch all this stuff for me as I'm struggling to keep up.

Get one of those new fangled betamax one's mate....  :embarrassed:

klondike

Can't get the tapes. Not even at car boots. I'd need a lot of them the watch all the stuff I have in the layby.

zoony

3rd season of Snowpiercer has started which is just as well as I'd forgotten season 2's ending!..

Michael Rolls

just watched on Netflix 'The War Below' gripping tale of miners who, in WW1, tunneled beneath German lines to set off mines to destabilise  the defences before the infantry attack went in. Has a pretty good attempt at depicting just how awful the trenches were.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Yes I watched that too. Basic story is true but I doubt any of the details in the film were. Just as well probably they are entertainments not documentaries after all and from memory I enjoyed it.

Michael Rolls

yes - I very much doubt the detail, but as you say - entertainment, not documentary
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]