BMI Body Mass Index

Started by Michael Rolls, February 20, 2022, 07:20:21 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Needing to amuse myself, I checked my BMI using the NHS calculator. When I remember to really stand up straight I am just 6' 1". Currently my average weight is 13-7. Over the years I have weighed as much as 16-13, as little as 12-3
According to the calculator the ideal weight range for someone of my height, age and level of activity is between 10-0 and 13-7, so I just about squeak in - but 10 stone? That's just ridiculous. Anyone of my build weighing ten stone would look like a survivor from Belsen or the like.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

As far as I'm concerned BMI is just a piece of nonsense. :angry: If your not overweight and you feel happy with your weight, and comfortable in your own skin then fine. :check:

Scrumpy

The only scales I have in my home are for weighing ingredients when cooking..
I have no idea how much I weigh but I am sure it is more than it should be..
Martha ( granddaughter) was here yesterday.. She left behind two donuts.. They are still in the bag.. Might do.. might not.. but one thing I am sure of is that I shouldn't..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

The low end of the scale certainly declares those I would imagine must be close to skeletal in the healthy range. I'm just into the overweight band and must say that I agree with that. So does any mirror. Changing it is the tricky bit.

Alex

I weigh more than I should for my height, it takes about 3 days to put on 5 lbs and 10 days to lose it ! 

Scrumpy

Quote from: Alex on February 20, 2022, 01:01:45 PM
I weigh more than I should for my height, it takes about 3 days to put on 5 lbs and 10 days to lose it !

10 days to lose 5 lbs.. Whoopie.. !!  I will start tomorrow.. Should take a couple of weeks and I will be perfect..!!
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 20, 2022, 01:32:15 PM

10 days to lose 5 lbs.. Whoopie.. !!  I will start tomorrow.. Should take a couple of weeks and I will be perfect..!!

I was being optimistic I suppose    :cool: :cool: :cool:

Diasi

My BMI is shown as 19.5 & my weight is the same as it was when I was 18, regardless of the chips, cream cakes & chocolate that I've eaten, & still do, over the years.

It's not something I worked at or achieved, it's just how I've always been.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

My weight has fluctuated wildly over the years. Guess it's just one of those things
[email protected]

Raven

Quote from: Diasi on February 20, 2022, 02:49:33 PM
My BMI is shown as 19.5 & my weight is the same as it was when I was 18, regardless of the chips, cream cakes & chocolate that I've eaten, & still do, over the years.

It's not something I worked at or achieved, it's just how I've always been.

[1180] [1180] [1180]

Michael Rolls

did a bit of messing about with the NHS site - to be 19.5 BMI I would need to be 10-6. No idea when I last weighed that little, but it would have been before I left school - 15 or so

Mike
[email protected]

Raven

At my slimmest I was 7stone 5lb. Took a size 6 in clothes. THEN, I had the kids, and I've struggled ever since.

Michael Rolls

mum was 7 stone and a pound or two most of her life - she was 5'7" tall and tended to vanish if she turned sideways!
Mike
[email protected]

Raven

Quote from: Michael Rolls on February 20, 2022, 05:08:39 PM
mum was 7 stone and a pound or two most of her life - she was 5'7" tall and tended to vanish if she turned sideways!
Mike

Yeah that's tall for that weight.

klondike

I've decided that I have more chance of growing a couple of inches than losing the stone I probably should. Maybe I should get some of those wedges Alex was looking at....