Climate Emergency

Started by klondike, September 15, 2022, 11:55:37 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

The climate emergency predicted by computer models and the driver of the Net Zero policy which has put us in the mess we are with energy prices is again in question.  This is one of many articles I have seen questioning the truth of the actual situation with climate change which in the main seems to have stalled and been pretty stable for at least a decade.

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/09/14/climate-emergency-not-supported-by-data-say-four-leading-italian-scientists/

The immediate cause of the high energy price is the need for gas to back up unreliable renewables such as solar and wind which are replacing coal power stations. The French nuclear stations which have supplied us with power in the past seem to have been allowed to decay. Gas is now hostage to one V. Putin wanting sanctions put in place following his illegal invasion of Ukraine to be ended along with withdrawal of weapons supply to Ukraine.

I recall in Boris's departing speech he declared more windmills would be installed. Trouble is whether you have one windmill or one million if the wind don't blow you get no power. When we get our usual winter lows settle in and there is no significant wind for days on end with cloudy skies and the sun only up for a few hours you get next to bugger all from your renewables and you still need gas.

Raven

We now have Tidal Power here in the ocean.

Ashy

However is it that volcanoes keep erupting? every fire that I have ever lit has gone out in time and needs a supply of fuel and oxygen,

and then there's the cost of solar and wind energy. These things are all very well for drying laundry on the clothes line, but when it comes to generating electricity they are unreliable for reasons Klondy stated there and therefore the combustion power stations, lines and switchgear always have to be maintained in hot standby mode, and that makes wind and solar more expensive than they are worth. What's more we have no economic means of storing electricity when it is available.

September 15, 2022, 12:09:15 PM
Tidal power is the most reliable but it's available at different times every day, and then the question of economic storage comes back.

klondike

Trump on German energy policy. Look at them laugh at him. Who's laughing now. Pillocks the lot of them?

Michael Rolls

back in the winter of 2010//11 we had a period of three weeks when the windmills we can see few miles away didn't turn so much as a blade. During those three weeks every day had at least a proportion of the 24 hours below freezing, most never rising above it - coldest we got was minus 18C
I would love to see a really thorough cost benefit analysis undertaken on the windmills - gut reaction is that overall they are even less useful in overall economic effect than their supporters claim.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]