Forum slow?

Started by Mark, May 24, 2024, 10:45:14 AM

« previous - next »

Mark

If you think the forum is running slow please check

https://letschat.club/extras/perf/

If you see obvious increases in the graph from earlier days (it covers a week one day at a time) then either PM klondike or mention it in a post and I'll take alook.

The background story...

We had some pretty big slowdowns that lasted several days recently. I didn't notice or check until it was mentioned and then I looked at the performance monitor I had running on my Raspberry Pi at home and saw there had been periods of quite long response times.

I no longer expose the Pi to the internet as similar hammering from various bots hammer that too so can't give access to the monitor. I have now moved it to the server the forum runs on. It monitors the forum and the BBC by reading the home pages once a minute. As the BBC get billions from licence fee payers they can afford a faster server than me as you will see. I monitored both as I could see if the problem was in my home connection. I've left the BBC check in although it is less useful now.

You won't get response time like those shown as your traffic will be on slower connections. Latency for most home internet alone will add 5 to 25 milliseconds and 4G/5G a lot more.