Electricity

Started by Michael Rolls, March 04, 2022, 10:35:47 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Quite correct. Good luck on successfully suing them though.

Cassandra

Quote from: Diasi on April 21, 2022, 04:26:24 PM
Hi Cassandra,

We were with Octopus before we switched to Shell Energy so I called them today for a quote & the prices are virtually the same.

Before   After
Tariff details      
Name   iChoosr Collective Octopus 12M Fixed   Flexible Octopus
Tariff code   ICHOOSR-FIX-12M-20-02-12   VAR-22-04-02

Electricity charges      
Unit rate   13.02 p per kWh   27.35 p per kWh
Standing charge   23.55 p per day   48.26 p per day

Gas charges      
Unit rate   2.27 p per kWh   7.28 p per kWh
Standing charge   17.85 p per day   27.22 p per day

Costs      
Estimated annual cost   £754.33   £1728.55
All prices include VAT.

The above estimated annual costs are calculated using annual consumption

Hi there Diasi,

Thank you for helping out, really much appreciated. My friend is with Octopus too and his increases from his previous fixed deal are staggering.

For example his last bill (March) was fixed at 2.7p per kwh for gas and 15.7p for electricity. Standing charges were  24.84 and 25.72 daily, respectively for gas and electricity.

It's strange ins't it that they are quoting gas say at .28p per Kwh above the CAP on gas at 7p per KwH? Worth a challenge I would think?

Appears to be a blatant disregard for the OFT's figures?

The numbers are completely beyond anything being charged out here as well, but we don't have loopy Green Taxes here either at present, even with an amazing set of idiots running the place!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

A challenge will get nowhere for the reason I pointed out. Some tariffs are exempt from the cap.

Diasi

Quote from: Cassandra on April 21, 2022, 04:45:25 PM
Hi there Diasi,

Thank you for helping out, really much appreciated. My friend is with Octopus too and his increases from his previous fixed deal are staggering.

For example his last bill (March) was fixed at 2.7p per kwh for gas and 15.7p for electricity. Standing charges were  24.84 and 25.72 daily, respectively for gas and electricity.

It's strange ins't it that they are quoting gas say at .28p per Kwh above the CAP on gas at 7p per KwH? Worth a challenge I would think?

Appears to be a blatant disregard for the OFT's figures?

The numbers are completely beyond anything being charged out here as well, but we don't have loopy Green Taxes here either at present, even with an amazing set of idiots running the place!

Our cheapest fixed deal quote from Octopus Energy was £2,416.77 per year.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on April 21, 2022, 04:47:25 PM
A challenge will get nowhere for the reason I pointed out. Some tariffs are exempt from the cap.

What may be the argument is that they are good little greens so you are paying more and they don't make nasty stuff that upsets Mrs Johnsons new wallpaper :shocked:

Also the Vat may be inclusive I feel at 7.28p from Octopus and pre VAT OFT's 7.00p? In that way they are below the cap by 0.07p per Kwh (i.e 5% of 7 = 0.35p)?

The saying about eyes in the back of your head rings true though somehow and in all fairness to the energy co's they are really merely brokers. The 'Vertically Integrated, Oligopolist primary producers upstream, like Big Oil etc are those who need capping! But thats been going on since 1966 and their too powerful to allow legislation to muck up their little game on internal transfer pricing!

I think whatever happens he's best staying on the capped listing at the moment. They (Octopus) are quoting unbelievable prices for a fixed price 12 month contract!

klondike

We have all been stitched up I'm afraid. Ofgem have the responsibility for setting the caps and have decided to allow some green tariffs to be exempt. I have no idea how they justify that and even less faith that it could be challenged without huge legal costs.

Now in theory I could switch to a non green tariff and make a pretty marginal saving. In practice I doubt any of the energy companies are accepting new customers on those tariffs. Fixed rate ones are at eye watering prices. My fear is that those eye watering prices may come to be seen as bargain basement. I rather doubt it though so I'll just sulk.

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on April 21, 2022, 05:14:45 PM
We have all been stitched up I'm afraid. Ofgem have the responsibility for setting the caps and have decided to allow some green tariffs to be exempt. I have no idea how they justify that and even less faith that it could be challenged without huge legal costs.

Now in theory I could switch to a non green tariff and make a pretty marginal saving. In practice I doubt as my of the energy companies are accepting new customers on those tariffs. Fixed rate ones are at eye watering prices. My fear is that those eye watering prices may come to be seen as bargain basement. I rather doubt it though so I'll just sulk.

They can be challenged for little by perservering with the Freedom of Information Act. I tried for nearly two years about Covid Stats and eventually the ONS coughed revealing that 17,500 people died from Covid as against those who died with it which they headlined at 165,000 cases. However that was a matter of statistical presentation and a difficult tort to argue and very complicated to incorporate or indeed dis-include in any multi-levelled class type action. Also it took me and many others until February this year before they replied and added they had no figures post September '21, even though Whitty and the cuckoos kept sprouting their inflatedly incorrect 'project fear' alternatives until just a few months ago.

However the whole reason for 'green grow the rushes grow' prices only, is to ensure that by by their persistence, the likes of 'Dave' Camerson's father in law gets his grand a day rent receivables from us for each one of the hideous and inefficient Windmills he allows to be erected on his rolloing acres. It certainly needs challenging. The 'Johnson' administration is well supplied with those whose lifetime role's have been in the black arts of deception and terminological inexactitudes ...

klondike

Quote from: Cassandra on April 21, 2022, 05:38:43 PMI tried for nearly two years about Covid Stats and eventually the ONS coughed revealing that 17,500 people died from Covid as against those who died with it which they headlined at 165,000 cases.
Yes I twigged that we were being lead up the path on COVID and wrote a few scripts to collect the publicly available NHS and ONS stats. It was soon apparent that they did not in any way match the past BS predictions. Nobody will ever be held to account for that despite it leaving public debts which will not be paid off for generations.

Michael Rolls

electricity costs do seem to be a rip-off, especially the increase in the standing charge. This coming year, for the first time in my life, my electricity bill will be more than I spend on food and drink
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

I imagine the loss incurred by bust companies is the reason for a lot of the increase. Putting it on the standing charge probably compensates for shortfall from people turning stuff off.

There can't be huge profits in it because none of them seem to be looking to increase their customer base by offering good switch deals.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on April 21, 2022, 09:20:38 PM
I imagine the loss incurred by bust companies is the reason for a lot of the increase. Putting it on the standing charge probably compensates for shortfall from people turning stuff off.

Which is exactly what I've been saying.

If people continue to use less & less gas & electricity, the standing charge will continue to rise proportionally.

Shell Energy's explanation for the rise does include the amount needed to bale out the accounts of those whose energy suppliers went bust.

This has shown the energy supply industry for the scam that it is, with OFGEM being a waste of money since they should restrict energy costs to the actual cost of production & renewable energy doesn't vary in production cost to any great extent.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Couldn't agree more!!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]