Electricity

Started by Michael Rolls, March 04, 2022, 10:35:47 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

I too have a number of books that I doubt would be on Kindle. Even if they were the ones with lots of illustrations and pictures wouldn't work well on one.

If you want to read them again you need the sort of thing vicars and the like have for holding books at a decent reading angle. I forget the name but like a lectern that sits on a table rather than on a tall stand.

Michael Rolls

Quote from: klondike on March 04, 2022, 04:36:06 PM
I too have a number of books that I doubt would be on Kindle. Even if they were the ones with lots of illustrations and pictures wouldn't work well on one.

If you want to read them again you need the sort of thing vicars and the like have for holding books at a decent reading angle. I forget the name but like a lectern that sits on a table rather than on a tall stand.
What a good idea - thanks - I'll have a look
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

I live in a 3 bedroom house built by me and Sam.. Some great memories here.. My porch walls have writings on them that go back a few years. My brother.. sister ..Dennis that could never be replaced..
Sometimes I get alarmed by the garden.. even though it is small.. Sometimes I think 'Sod it..I'll move'.. Then the sun shines and my decking area with long wooden table , hand painted chairs and sweet smelling roses tell me that I am happy just to be here..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Scrumpy

... on the other hand..If I won a substantial amount of money I would move..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

No matter what - I would never move willingly. This is where we were happy more than anywhere else. Veronica and I had both suffered unhappy first marriages - coming up here, we were able to forget all the bad times
Mike
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on March 04, 2022, 10:35:47 AM
Just had a gleeful letter from SSE telling me my costs will rise from 1/4/22 - surprise, surprise. The cost this year £3,769.51. Cost next year, assuming the same level of usage- and I can't see it changing - £5074.86. That's an increase of 34.6%. What really riles me is that the daily standing charge has risen from 27.48p to 50.14, or by 84.46%!
WHY? the standing charge -  as I understand it, is effectively an admin charge to cover the cost of actually providing the service - how can that have changed, never mind very nearly doubling!
Mike

As I posted previously, the standing charge isn't related to the cost of providing the service to a consumer, if you look at the various tariffs you'll see that the standing charges are linked to a particular tariff.

It doesn't cost any more to deliver expensive electricity than it does to deliver cheap electricity.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

In that case it makes even less sense to me
Mike
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on March 05, 2022, 09:34:44 AM
In that case it makes even less sense to me
Mike

Well of course all standing charges are a scam, when you fill up with 50 quid's worth of petrol you pay 50 quid, you don't pay 50 quid plus 5 quid for getting the petrol to the pump.

If the standing charge was genuinely to cover the cost of providing the service it'd be more or less a fixed price & would only increase occasionally by small amounts.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Yes - that's what I had presumed - clearly wrongly
Mike
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on March 04, 2022, 01:10:07 PM
I think Putin may have put a big spanner in our governments net zero plans which seem to rely heavily on gas imports for when the wind don't blow.

When the wind didn't blow & the ship wouldn't go, they got Carter the farter to start her.
[email protected]

crabbyob

so how can we not pay the 'standing charges?
i once got a letter from the bank offering overdraft facilities, then the final sentence informed me £12 had been deducted from my account for this service...
i was waiting for the bank doors to open ... and frightened a poor girl to death, but the £12 was back in my account before i left the bank...
i wonder how many more £12 they 'harvested' that day and in the days and years that followed...

klondike

There were tariffs avialable with no standing charge and possibly still are, They are aimed at low usage because the unit costs are considerably higher. Tariffs are deliberately made complex to confuse people. There are websites that will take your annual usage (should be shown on your bills), run the calculations on all availabale tariffs and advise you of your personal cheapest. If you switch supplier through such sites they will give you some of the money they get from the energy company for facilitating the switch to them. Right now no switches make sense as no tariffs on offer are lower than the Ofgem cap.

Example site doing this which I have used for years  https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/login

Diasi

The whole pricing structure & sales pitches of the energy market is a legalised scam.

There is no such thing as 100% renewable energy because the grid supplies energy from whatever source is fed into the grid, so our 100% renewable electricity tariff could be 100% gas or 100% nuclear or a mix of all three depending on what source the power generation is using at any point in time.

[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: Diasi on March 06, 2022, 08:26:32 AM
The whole pricing structure & sales pitches of the energy market is a legalised scam.

There is no such thing as 100% renewable energy because the grid supplies energy from whatever source is fed into the grid, so our 100% renewable electricity tariff could be 100% gas or 100% nuclear or a mix of all three depending on what source the power generation is using at any point in time.

I completely agree. "Nett zero" is like everlasting mortality, it sounds too good to be true - because it is.

Over here (North East Michigan) I'm paying (updated) the equivalent of 0.68 p per therm for gas and 12.21p for electricity. Some States are also as much as 25% cheaper due to distribution costs and multiplicity of supply sources. Standing charges don't exist.

Former Vice President and 'New World Order' fanatic 'John Kerry' says we are 'missing' climate change relevance by concentrating on the deflection of the Ukrainian conflict! Still at least he admits we should avoid a nuclear whizz-bang, as it would melt the icecaps. Its good to know he keeps a sense of proportion.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

He sounds a laugh a minute!
Mike
[email protected]