Here's a cause I can support.

Started by klondike, September 17, 2022, 09:38:38 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Proposed ban of e-scooters

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1670553/escooters-trial-liz-truss-trevelyan-grant-shapps-road-safety-kent-law-change

Ban 'hideous, unsafe' e-scooters from UK roads or risk 'chaos and carnage', Truss urged

E-scooters are seemingly everywhere - but critics claim any environmental benefits they may offer are rapidly being outweighed by the threat they pose to pedestrians and other road users.

The NFB has been monitoring incidents to have occurred during the course of 32 trials taking place across the nation, which are due to finish on November 30. At least three people, including a 14-year-old girl, have died while riding scooters in the last year, while many others have been injured.

Referring to Ms Truss's newly appointed minister, Ms Gayton told Express.co.uk: "Kent County Council is leading the way in common sense and safety by bringing the e-scooter trial to an end.

There are just too many in these parts and as the roads are pretty unsafe they get ridden illegally on pavements. I was pleased to read that the trial is ending at the end on November. May it stay closed.

Diasi

I don't mind hitting & killing an e-scooter rider so long as I don't get the seemingly automatic blame.

And providing it only does cosmetic damage to the car. :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Round here you'd usually have to drive on the pavement to manage that.

The problem is that they aren't and realistically can't be policed.

Law - ride on road only. Practice they are mostly ridden on pavements.
Law - driving licence needed. Practice that story mentions a 14 year old killed.
Law - one up. Practice two up is common.
Law - offical scooters only. Practice loads are privately owned ones - shops like Halfords are selling them. There isn't even the token regulation for those.

Scrumpy

I've never seen one..
I remember , many years back, seeing skate boards being used on the road.... They showed great skill...
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

There are only 32 trial areas. Unfortunately this is one of them.

Ashy

I ofthen see these on the road. When they first came out that had no construction and use authority for the highway.

It has been law since 1897 that a bicycle or any device on which one may ride, is a carriage, and a carriage must process on the carrieageway and not upon the footway. When these wretched things first came out they could only be used on private land, best place for them.