Bonfire Night Violence.

Started by Raven, November 06, 2023, 12:34:11 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

What's wrong with people? :boo: Up untill a few years ago we would never dream of doing such a thing. As for attacking the Police, Firemen, Ambulance Crews it's truly sick. :angry:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67331166

dextrous63

Stocks and public flogging seem appropriate.

Alex

Weak police forces all over the UK and if anyone is arrested, they're out in a matter of hours.  Until the police grow some, nothing will change.

JBR

Quote from: Alex on November 06, 2023, 12:59:35 PMWeak police forces all over the UK and if anyone is arrested, they're out in a matter of hours.  Until the police grow some, nothing will change.
Exactly the problem as I see it.
There are two connected problems which have brought this situation about.

The courts fail to issue meaningful sentences (or very often none at all) to those who, in past years, would have been more harshly dealt with.  They blame the lack of prison places, but even without building more prisons there are easy solutions.  Remembering that prisoners have broken the law and caused innocent people many problems, six to a cell would not only treat them the way they deserve to be punished, but would also increase the number of prison places six-fold.  Just one possible suggestion of many others.

The police have been reduced in effectiveness both by decimating their numbers (the Maybot) and by inviting social studies graduates to join immediately at inspector level, taking charge straight away without having had to learn 'on the beat' how to do the job.  They in turn, especially the more senior ones, decide how to deal with criminal activity and, being wishy-washy by nature, they avoid any direct action against the perpetrators in favour of virtually 'talking nicely to them'.

So this today has all been caused directly by our politicians in the past. 
Will today's, or even tomorrow's, politicians put things back to how they were?  What do you think?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

GrannyMac

You're right.  Not sure about graduates going straight in at Inspector level though. One of our young relatives joined up a couple of years ago, with a good degree in Criminology.   She's a PC, learning the ropes from the ground up.  Her qualifications may help with future promotions, but I hope her ability to do the job is the important thing.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

Things have gone too far, lets face it nothing can change under this PM who we didn't even elect   There is unfortunately no Thatcher waiting in the wings.

As for prisons, 4 to a cell sounds good to me  :grin: However it would certainly all ' kick off' if that rule was brought in and my thoughts then go to the prison officers.  With an entry salary of about £22,000 how can we expect to recruit more officers ?  So they need a really good pay rise it's a dangerous job, probably at times just as dangerous as a police officer's job.  I wouldn't like my son to do either.

klondike

Quote from: JBR on November 06, 2023, 02:16:30 PMsix to a cell would not only treat them the way they deserve to be punished, but would also increase the number of prison places six-fold.  
It would almost certainly reduce the prison population too. Could the NHS cope with the influx?

November 06, 2023, 03:21:15 PM
Quote from: Alex on November 06, 2023, 02:29:58 PMmy thoughts then go to the prison officers.

Forget where I heard it but almost certainly an ex prison officer on GBNews. Apparently few stay in the job  more than a few years and there are virtually none of the time served experienced people left.

Michael Rolls

we are -or rather our justice system is - for, far, far too soft on the scum
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on November 06, 2023, 02:25:25 PMYou're right.  Not sure about graduates going straight in at Inspector level though. One of our young relatives joined up a couple of years ago, with a good degree in Criminology.  She's a PC, learning the ropes from the ground up.  Her qualifications may help with future promotions, but I hope her ability to do the job is the important thing.
Perhaps it's only in the Met, where I hear of such things.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Under new management now. Can't be worse that's for sure but not a great deal of evidence that it is much better.