Sudan

Started by Alex, April 25, 2023, 08:10:32 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

'Brits' are being evacuated while I type  :smiley:
A couple of questions..... what are 4,000 'Brits' actually doing in Sudan ?
How long before Sunak announces the UK will be taking in thousands of refugees fleeing this war  ? 

Diasi

My view is that anyone who goes to work in a known volatile country should not be rescued at my expense as a UK taxpayer.

Anyway, from what I've seen of the whingers on the news, 99% of them aren't ethnic Brits, & probably Sudan is their ethnic homeland.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Ashy

Yes, most of the 4,000 are Sudanese people who hold British passports. Many of them would have gone home for the end of ramadan and now find their return flights cancelled. They may be running out of money. They will identify as Sudanese and their government recognises them as such. I don't think anyone thought the country was volatile, this conflict between two official armies has taken them by surprise. The situation is coming under control apparently but it's taking too long for many.

Diasi

Sudan is well-known for it's numerous civil wars & other conflicts so there's always a high probability that trouble will erupt at any time.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Ashy

I have to disagree. The civil war was concluded by dividing the country. South Sudan has had some tribal conflicts but the north was stable. This sudden military action, which comes down to an argument between two generals, came out of the blue.

What we don't know is how much influence the super-powers had in this. The military government agreed to host a Russian naval base on the Red Sea, and this has upset the Americans who are not averse to making trouble.

Diasi

Quote from: Ashy on April 26, 2023, 09:20:21 AMI have to disagree. The civil war was concluded by dividing the country. South Sudan has had some tribal conflicts but the north was stable. This sudden military action, which comes down to an argument between two generals, came out of the blue.

What we don't know is how much influence the super-powers had in this. The military government agreed to host a Russian naval base on the Red Sea, and this has upset the Americans who are not averse to making trouble.
Fair enough, we'll have to disagree on this one as the last, of many, civil wars might have ended but tension has always simmered under the surface.

It's like saying that living on the rim of a volcano is safe because it hasn't erupted for a few years.
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on April 26, 2023, 09:10:00 AMYes, most of the 4,000 are Sudanese people who hold British passports. Many of them would have gone home for the end of ramadan and now find their return flights cancelled. They may be running out of money. They will identify as Sudanese and their government recognises them as such. I don't think anyone thought the country was volatile, this conflict between two official armies has taken them by surprise. The situation is coming under control apparently but it's taking too long for many.
Another good reason for the dinghy boys to come here.
Simply wait here (in a posh hotel) until you are given a British passport, then you can go home to any third-world pit and, any problems, you can expect the good old British taxpayer to fund the rescue to bring you back here for a top-up.
Until the next time.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Raven

Had the News on the radio on my way home from the pool earlier, caught some of an interview about big changes to the way the illegal dinghy boys are to be treated. As far as I can gather if they land here illegally then they will NOT be allowed to apply for asylum, they will be deported immediately. If I got it correct then I think it's the way to go I will have to watch the News at lunch time and see if there's anything about it. If the government is at last putting it's foot down and ignoring the EU Courts and the squawking do gooders then I'll be well chuffed.
BUT, I MAY HAVE IT WRONG.  :boo:

klondike

Well I think you have right what they say they'll do but the question is will they be able to? If they do fix this then they have (an undeserved imo) chance of not being completely wiped out at the next election but fail and we'll have the joys of a Labour landslide. Something I suspect that the SNP won't want at all as they'll be hoping to be the minor party in a coalition at the cost of indyref2 being granted.

Jacqueline

I really couldn't care less about Sudan, as Diasi said if they go to work in a country like that they take their chances, we have too many problems of our own in this country to worry about the problems of the whole world.

One news person reckoned in about four months after then have got into northern Europe we will have a hell of a lot of young men from Sudan heading our way on their dinghies coming to a hotel near you or me.

Question, a pole reckoned 75% of people questioned say they will holiday in the UK this summer, where are they going to stay?

Ashy

Quote from: Raven on April 26, 2023, 12:07:45 PMAs far as I can gather if they land here illegally then they will NOT be allowed to apply for asylum, they will be deported immediately.
I don't think it's been voted on yet, and with Labour voting against it, most of the government MPs will have to vote for it or it will fail. Quite a lot of them are as wet as a fish's wet bits, ...So not yet...

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on April 26, 2023, 12:15:31 PMWell I think you have right what they say they'll do but the question is will they be able to? If they do fix this then they have (an undeserved imo) chance of not being completely wiped out at the next election but fail and we'll have the joys of a Labour landslide. Something I suspect that the SNP won't want at all as they'll be hoping to be the minor party in a coalition at the cost of indyref2 being granted.
I hope that the average Brit voter has the intelligence to look at which party tries to do something & then punishes the parties that try & thwart the attempts to do something.
[email protected]

klondike

Unfortunately a lot of the thwarting will come from conservative MPs. It already has in the form of legal aid to challenge deportation orders.

Diasi

Why does the UK have 4,000, mainly Sudanese nationals with British passports, to rescue from the Sudan while it seems that France, Italy & Germany only have 2 or 3 hundred Sudanese nations with French, Italian & German passports?
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on April 26, 2023, 04:34:06 PMI hope that the average Brit voter has the intelligence to look at which party tries to do something & then punishes the parties that try & thwart the attempts to do something.
Sadly, the impression I get is that the average Brit voter doesn't have much intelligence when it comes to voting.  A shame, because they themselves will suffer the consequences, then will accuse others because they can't see what they have done.

April 26, 2023, 07:51:10 PM
Quote from: Diasi on April 26, 2023, 07:05:17 PMWhy does the UK have 4,000, mainly Sudanese nationals with British passports, to rescue from the Sudan while it seems that France, Italy & Germany only have 2 or 3 hundred Sudanese nations with French, Italian & German passports?
I think that's pretty obvious.  Our authorities are very keen to hand out British nationality to anyone and everyone.
Just wait for a few years, and I'm sure we'll see hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants joining the throng.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire