Why do people ruin Dogs?

Started by Cassandra, October 14, 2023, 08:36:44 PM

« previous - next »

Cassandra

This dear tiny little thing is amazingly 7 months old and has been 'bred down' to satisfy the handbag market for creatures, where they are favoured as fashion accessories. She weighs 2lbs 10 ozs and is expected to mature around 3lbs 8 ozs.

She arrived Friday afternoon at our 'rescue centre' nearby. She needs urgent surgery to her tiny little stomach which has become 'strangulated' by the rotten people who mis-direct their genes. Its about $2,000 worth and the callous little biddy who bought her can't afford it and has already been given another one by the 'breeder'.

So this tiny life has been set aside as replaceable. Annie and I went to see her this afternoon and she's so small the girls there have to keep her in a shoebox as she escapes the pen too easily by walking through the railings she's that tiny.

Fortunately one of the girls takes her home with her. She's very energetic for a while then her metabolism can't get refuelled and she just slumps to the floor! I just can't watch her deteriorate, her little eyes are saying, "whats wrong with me"? I sat there with her and she came and fell asleep on my hand, tiny little heart beats, it reduced me to tears I have to say. So far $200 has been raised and a local charity has also pledged $600 if the fund rises to $1400. Anyway this afternoon I told the centre when they like to operate I'll underwrite the bill. The Vet says apart from this anomaly she's OK and with a strong heart and lungs: but warned that they never live full life spans in terms of normal Yorkies, sometimes only lasting three or four years. "Well we'll have to fill that time full of fun and see if love can beat your prognosis" I heard myself saying and turned to Annie who streaming tears, looked at me and said "Right on Judge, she's ours, come what may!

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

I'm no good with words to say on this sad tale. All I can say is well done you and I hope the poor little thing has a good life regardless of the length of it. 

There are other breeds with congenital defects and it can only be cruelty and greed that breeders continue to produce young animals when the chances are they cannot have healthy lives. 

dextrous63

What strange misbred genetic anomalies must have taken place to produce creatures that breed these sort of animals, and also those who discard them so easily because it's inconvenient to work hard enough to look after them?

Alex

She's beautiful, I'm so glad she's joined your gang Cass,  God bless her.♥

Michael Rolls

brought tears to my eyes - how can people be so calculatingly awful?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

The cup that cheers !!... Teacup !! ...  She is in safe hands now..
You are a good man Martin.. x
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Cassandra

Thanks everyone, she's so tiny I don't think she'll even be able to climb up Holly's little staircase onto the bed as the steps might be too steep. The op to 'straighten' her stomach neck is on Thursday and the X ray showed her little tummy is twisted and can be put right with a patch. It's an intricate piece of surgery, but she's young strong and like all of her breed exceedingly brave. She made the local TV station and was a great hit, the dollars (literally a dollar a time) have now well exceeded 1,000 and saved the charity contributing at all. Annie reckons I could stand for Mayor and win outright now!

Went and fed her with some chicken strips this morning, ten minutes later she was up and yapping and running round chasing her tail. Definitely knows somethings going on as she perked up as soon as we got there and looked so sad when we left. How do they seem to read things are on the up?

Alex

Good to hear donations are coming in,  Mayor Martin sounds quite good  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
How do unscrupulous breeders get these tiny dogs, do they inject them with something ?  I have no idea what they do, but it needs banning.

JBR

Quote from: Alex on October 15, 2023, 06:57:54 PMGood to hear donations are coming in,  Mayor Martin sounds quite good  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
How do unscrupulous breeders get these tiny dogs, do they inject them with something ?  I have no idea what they do, but it needs banning.
It does indeed need banning.
Of course, if trendy 'fashionable' people weren't so interested in themselves, the breeders wouldn't have a market.
Doing this sort of thing should be made a crime.  After all, cruelty to animals is just that, and I call this sort of thing cruelty to animals.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on October 15, 2023, 08:26:52 PMIt does indeed need banning.
Of course, if trendy 'fashionable' people weren't so interested in themselves, the breeders wouldn't have a market.
Doing this sort of thing should be made a crime.  After all, cruelty to animals is just that, and I call this sort of thing cruelty to animals.

It is illegal to breed or offer for sale certain types of tiny dogs in some States, but it's not federal law so you can always say, I popped over the border and got one etc. Until there's federal adjudication whilst it 'hinders' these horrible people it can't stop them. I've had over 300 emails forwarded to me so far, All very kind and wishing me well. One teacup I'm reliably told (found thrown away in a litter bin) in New York (4-6 weeks old) apparently lived to 17 with no afflictions. Also humble people who couldn't donate money for her gave up toys and blankets - just shows after this awful week there are kind people still.

Think we're going to call her 'Emily' after the suffragette lady from Edwardian times

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on October 15, 2023, 09:43:55 PMIt is illegal to breed or offer for sale certain types of tiny dogs in some States, but it's not federal law so you can always say, I popped over the border and got one etc. Until there's federal adjudication whilst it 'hinders' these horrible people it can't stop them. I've had over 300 emails forwarded to me so far, All very kind and wishing me well. One teacup I'm reliably told (found thrown away in a litter bin) in New York (4-6 weeks old) apparently lived to 17 with no afflictions. Also humble people who couldn't donate money for her gave up toys and blankets - just shows after this awful week there are kind people still.

Think we're going to call her 'Emily' after the suffragette lady from Edwardian times
I'm not sure exactly how stringent any such laws here regarding animal cruelty.
Of course, whatever the penalties might be, I'm afraid that breaking the law in many ways these days is not punished severely enough, and animal cruelty seems to be quite a way down the list anyway.

I'm not a dog person myself - we have cats - but I can't stand cruelty to any living thing.

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on October 15, 2023, 10:08:55 PMI'm not sure exactly how stringent any such laws here regarding animal cruelty.
Of course, whatever the penalties might be, I'm afraid that breaking the law in many ways these days is not punished severely enough, and animal cruelty seems to be quite a way down the list anyway.

I'm not a dog person myself - we have cats - but I can't stand cruelty to any living thing.

Same here, my late wife bred Birmans and I was 'mid-husband' to many beautiful kittens. The picture is her pride and joy 'Samantha' (who only ate prawns) along with a little Spanish Beach Stray (Paco), whom we gave 'Asylum' to in 1981 from the shores of Fuengirola. I had to endure a year long battle of strife with the Home Office, eventually injuncting them to complete his case to get him 'citizenship. He was virtually a puppy when we found him and he followed us back to my friends villa the last night before we left. He lived another 16 years after arriving and only ate Cat food (we had three). I lost Sam to a road accident following my wife's death and somehow could not face that sorrow again.

Cats are brilliant creatures and I suppose here might be more salient for safety, there are wild creatures however that do take down domestic cats and you can't really keep them in like dogs?

Scrumpy

Quote from: Cassandra on October 15, 2023, 09:43:55 PM. One teacup I'm reliably told (found thrown away in a litter bin) in New York (4-6 weeks old) apparently lived to 17 with no afflictions. Also humble people who couldn't donate money for her gave up toys and blankets - just shows after this awful week there are kind people still.

How could anyone throw (any) animal in a litter bin.. Heartbreaking..

Emily is a good name.. I thought her name was Teacup.. I love it..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Cassandra

Quote from: Scrumpy on October 16, 2023, 12:57:49 PMHow could anyone throw (any) animal in a litter bin.. Heartbreaking..

Emily is a good name.. I thought her name was Teacup.. I love it..

Over here Scrumps 'their' known as Teacup Yorkies as some of the really tiny one, do fit in large teacup!

I thought Emily, after Emily Pankhurst, another small and fearless fighter. Just got back from the daily visit. She was in her shoe box on one of the nurses desks. Knew we'd arrived, immediately we entered reception! Became very animated, more chicken strips and the girls have given her one of the many balls that have arrived from well-wishers. She's very good at riding these, pedalling like a performing seal.

Wouldn't stop licking my fingers, messages of goodwill keep on piling up at the centre and one lady knitted a magnificent little waistcoat for her, whilst a local saddler sent in a leather collar, handmade after visiting and measuring her up!

She 'chirrups' in excitement, but also has a really sharp little bark, good job there's lots of room I'm getting as bad a the late Paul O'Grady (a good man) for the love of dogs!

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on October 16, 2023, 12:31:15 PMSame here, my late wife bred Birmans and I was 'mid-husband' to many beautiful kittens. The picture is her pride and joy 'Samantha' (who only ate prawns) along with a little Spanish Beach Stray (Paco), whom we gave 'Asylum' to in 1981 from the shores of Fuengirola. I had to endure a year long battle of strife with the Home Office, eventually injuncting them to complete his case to get him 'citizenship. He was virtually a puppy when we found him and he followed us back to my friends villa the last night before we left. He lived another 16 years after arriving and only ate Cat food (we had three). I lost Sam to a road accident following my wife's death and somehow could not face that sorrow again.

Cats are brilliant creatures and I suppose here might be more salient for safety, there are wild creatures however that do take down domestic cats and you can't really keep them in like dogs?
Fortunately, unlike the 'wild creatures' you seem to have over there, our two cats are pretty safe in our garden and presumably in neighbours' gardens too.
The only 'dangers' I am aware of are other cats and next-door's dog, though that is only a little rump of a thing!
The other possible dangers, though, especially these days, are idiotic young yobs who do go around attacking or even killing animals - just for fun.  Fortunately, we don't see them around here, at least for now.