Electricity prices

Started by Michael Rolls, January 11, 2022, 04:01:50 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

These continue to rocket. In January 2018 my monthly electricity bill for the house and outhouses was £219. This month it is £441 - doubled in just four years, thanks in large part to the government's crazy net zero policies. My usage, if anything, is less than it was back then, as then there were still two of us. Veronica died that month, so the house has only had a single occupant since then. I'm lucky - I can afford such an increase, scandalous though it is - but a lot of people are going to find energy prices hard to meet in the coming months and years.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

It's then that a lot of questions about those bills will be asked and guess who has some answers to explain them - that perpetual thorn in Boris's side N. Farage Esq.

Michael Rolls

I see the PM, when tackled on the question of VAT relief on energy bills said that would be reducing costs to many people who didn't need the help. Said sod all about those who do.
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

Perhap he should remove VAT entirely from everything and go for a tax on incomes instead if that's how he feels about it.
No?
Didn't think so Boris.

I think Rishi has been warning him that the money tree is starting to look a little worse for wear from all the harvesting of late.

crabbyob

the harvesting is very damaging...
but the lack of planting is going to cost him a lot more tomorrow... or does he know summit we dont?

zoony

Quote from: Michael Rolls on January 11, 2022, 08:24:54 AM
I see the PM, when tackled on the question of VAT relief on energy bills said that would be reducing costs to many people who didn't need the help. Said sod all about those who do.
Mike

I understand that the plan to help might revolve around those on supplementary benefits and warm-home discount claimants because of health issues..

klondike

The prices could be doubling apparently. That is going to be a problem for more than those on benefits. I siuspect some will come over all poorly and go on benfits rather than try to pay. Those living hand to mouth, which I imagine many are, will be hard put to find an extra £100 a month for their fuel bill.

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on January 11, 2022, 08:24:54 AM
Mike

And we all know that the only one's who'll get any help are those on means-tested benefits, so everyone else's private pension will continue to be eroded more & more.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: Diasi on January 11, 2022, 04:20:24 PM
And we all know that the only one's who'll get any help are those on means-tested benefits, so everyone else's private pension will continue to be eroded more & more.

How does Johnson expect Pensioners, razored by his duplicity on the Triple Lock to pay doubled suppliers prices with his ideological Green Tax at 25% on top; plus VAT he shouldn't be charging post Brexit?

Next year just in time for Statistics to be calculated the price will amazingly dip. Thereby he, (or his replacement in dubiety) will state a reduction in the cost of living in 2022.

What they never accept is that if your energy bill increased from say £100 to £200 a month 21/22; the fact it's gone down to £199 still means your shrinking income is £99 less a month year on year!

Money you'll never recover, with no compensation and likely to remain high. Its in the oligopoly suppliers interests to see it does. Together with the 'Plandemic' successfully culling 'providers' and therefore eliminating competition, the big 6 will artificially inflate prices, regulated by a tame 'lap dog' invigilator.

Over here I paid the equivalent of 47p a litre for gasoline Sunday and our domestic heating bills etc are about 40% of the UK's, before Aprils pending shock - horror increases.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

Quote from: Cassandra on January 11, 2022, 05:12:03 PM
How does Johnson expect Pensioners, razored by his duplicity on the Triple Lock to pay doubled suppliers prices with his ideological Green Tax at 25% on top; plus VAT he shouldn't be charging post Brexit?

Next year just in time for Statistics to be calculated the price will amazingly dip. Thereby he, (or his replacement in dubiety) will state a reduction in the cost of living in 2022.

What they never accept is that if your energy bill increased from say £100 to £200 a month 21/22; the fact it's gone down to £199 still means your shrinking income is £99 less a month year on year!

Money you'll never recover, with no compensation and likely to remain high. Its in the oligopoly suppliers interests to see it does. Together with the 'Plandemic' successfully culling 'providers' and therefore eliminating competition, the big 6 will artificially inflate prices, regulated by a tame 'lap dog' invigilator.

Over here I paid the equivalent of 47p a litre for gasoline Sunday and our domestic heating bills etc are about 40% of the UK's, before Aprils pending shock - horror increases.

"Next year just in time for Statistics to be calculated the price will amazingly dip. Thereby he, (or his replacement in dubiety) will state a reduction in the cost of living in 2022. "

I was thinking the very same thing, come September 2022, when the State Pension increase is calculated, the Consumer Price Index will have dipped, miraculously, to 2%.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

zoony

As well as culling providers it seems that plenty of us less than well-off older people are being culled as well..The 'bycatch' one assumes.  :sad:

Alex

The French government is forcing EDF, the state energy company to take a £7bn  financial hit to protect households from rocketing energy costs.
In Spain the government introduced a windfall tax on electricity generators and gas producers to help keep home energy bills low.
In Germany, the government has slashed a surcharge on bills used to support renewable energy schemes, they'll instead receive extra state subsidies.
In Uk Rishi  Sunak.............................. :waiting: :waiting: :waiting:

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Raven

This is something that bothers me a lot. These things we have to have to live, should not be expensive, and making people choose if they should heat or eat is disgusting.

crabbyob

All utilities need re-nationalised, as should car insurance.... but thats not the Tory way.. :nooo: