Horrible trains!

Started by GrannyMac, Today at 09:06:46 AM

« previous - next »

GrannyMac

I've always liked travelling on trains, I take a book, get a coffee, watch the scenery, etc. I came home from Cheshire by train on Monday. The first leg, (Stoke to Manchester train) through lovely villages, to Stockport, was as ever, fine.  The next leg on the train that came from Manchester?  Not quite so civilised.

I was concerned even before travelling that it was a bank holiday, but when I bought my ticket, well in advance, there was no option to book seats, and I had to come home that day.  Then the train before mine was cancelled, which never bodes well, and when mine pulled in I could see it was already busy with lots of us waiting on the platform.  I got on, and spotted a window seat, with a large bag on it, at a table for four.  I asked the young chap next to it if it was anyone's seat (you never know)? He grunted, 'I suppose you want me to shift my bag!'  I said, 'well, yes'. An old woman, looking for a seat on a very crowded train, and he thought it was ok to have a seat for his bag!

He very grudgingly put it on the luggage rack and I sat down.  There was an announcement a few minutes later asking people to move luggage off any spare seats. Surely that's a no-brainer? The whole aisle was full of standing passengers and their luggage, H&S would have had a fit!  

Apologies for long post, just wanted to warn people how difficult it might be.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

I took a one year contract in London in 1995. My experience communting by train ensured that I never took another. Far more relaxing to drive anything up to 80 miles each way than use the trains. On 3 occasions during that contract I got dumped out at intermediate stations and had to get my wife to drive out and pick me up. Zero help from any rail staff - in fact it was impossible to find any as they were all hiding in fear of a lynching by the huge numbers of abandonned passengers. That's ignoring the routine delays, missing trains etc. I have never been on a train since.

Scrumpy

I love train travel... Stockport to Reading.. Such a great journey.. beautiful countryside..
I have spoken to some interesting people on my travels..
The child that chooses me for company... The young woman who has left her man.. The widow and the soldier..
I have enjoyed them all..
The worse offenders are those who think they can spread their luggage over the next seat .. or take up the whole table with office equipment.. or put their feet up on the seat opposite.. :nooo:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

I used to love the trains especially the steam ones. BUT I've not been on one in years as I simply don't trust them to be running, and I don't want to be stranded somewhere because of their habit of striking at the drop of a hat. Also the price of tickets is IMO, pure robbery.
Only one more journey I want to do and it's a steam train one with the old style carriages, that's the West Highland Run, Fort William To Mallaig pulled by "The Jacobite" been meaning to do it for years but never got around to it. Then it became famous all over again by becoming "The Harry Potter Express"

GrannyMac

That would be lovely Raven, that train at least would have enough seating and run on time!

Today at 10:41:50 AM
Quote from: Scrumpy on Today at 09:16:51 AMI love train travel... Stockport to Reading.. Such a great journey.. beautiful countryside..
I have spoken to some interesting people on my travels..
The child that chooses me for company... The young woman who has left her man.. The widow and the soldier..
I have enjoyed them all..
The worse offenders are those who think they can spread their luggage over the next seat .. or take up the whole table with office equipment.. or put their feet up on the seat opposite.. :nooo:
I often end up making a 'friend' 😆.   I used to travel regularly from Doncaster to Dundee, its a fair old trip!  Obviously not this time though.  I just hope Mr Moron felt some embarrassment about his total lack of anything other than selfishness.

Oh dear klondike, my daughter, son in law and granddaughter were stranded in London last year when their late evening train was cancelled.  Luckily son in law booked them straight into a hotel, and got them on the first train next day, then got all their money back.  Not the best end to a day out though.

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on Today at 09:06:46 AMI've always liked travelling on trains, I take a book, get a coffee, watch the scenery, etc. I came home from Cheshire by train on Monday. The first leg, (Stoke to Manchester train) through lovely villages, to Stockport, was as ever, fine.  The next leg on the train that came from Manchester?  Not quite so civilised.

I was concerned even before travelling that it was a bank holiday, but when I bought my ticket, well in advance, there was no option to book seats, and I had to come home that day.  Then the train before mine was cancelled, which never bodes well, and when mine pulled in I could see it was already busy with lots of us waiting on the platform.  I got on, and spotted a window seat, with a large bag on it, at a table for four.  I asked the young chap next to it if it was anyone's seat (you never know)? He grunted, 'I suppose you want me to shift my bag!'  I said, 'well, yes'. An old woman, looking for a seat on a very crowded train, and he thought it was ok to have a seat for his bag!

He very grudgingly put it on the luggage rack and I sat down.  There was an announcement a few minutes later asking people to move luggage off any spare seats. Surely that's a no-brainer? The whole aisle was full of standing passengers and their luggage, H&S would have had a fit! 

Apologies for long post, just wanted to warn people how difficult it might be.
You did right to ask him to move it.  So many young people these days don't give a toss for anyone else other than themselves.
I can explain in two words why they have this attitude: government and schools.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

I never travel on trains, I can't even remember my last journey by train, it must have been over 25  years ago ! But it was a scenic trip to South Wales.

Scrumpy

My favourite train trip was a sleeper over to Venice..
I have never seen a more magnificent sight than that of Venice appearing out of the sea..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

Quote from: JBR on Today at 12:38:10 PMYou did right to ask him to move it.  So many young people these days don't give a toss for anyone else other than themselves.
I can explain in two words why they have this attitude: government and schools.
And some parents  :cry:

JBR

A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire