Come Back Billy Bunter

Started by Alex, January 29, 2022, 12:43:09 PM

« previous - next »

Jacqueline

I have had a weight problem all my adult life, it started after I had the kids.  I lost a lot of weight before Covid and during lockdown put on about a stone which I need to get off again, so I am not the one to be preaching to anyone. 

If you look back to wartime film footage you don't see fat people, I don't remember any really fat kids at school in the 1950/60's. None of the adults I knew where fat, I did have one Aunt who was overweight but not enormous.  We had basic food back then, and not the supermarkets full of lots of rubbish like we have today, sweets were a once a week treat when Dad got paid and we walked everywhere.  There is something very wrong when you see little kids waddeling along twice the weight they should be, and very often you see whole fat families, I dread to think how much their food shopping bills are each week to maintain their fat bodies.   

When I was young if you took a size 14 dress you were considered fat, I can remember trying to buy a dress after I had my second child, I needed a size 16 and landed up with something frumpy as fashionable clothes didn't go to that size.  Now you can buy leggings that would fit an elephant, and some of the wears look like the rear end of one in them!!!! 

Michael Rolls

In my grammar school - some 600 or so boys - there was just one boy - he was in my form - who was fat, and I think that was a metabolic problem, as I saw his parents at our summer fete and neither were fat - in fact his mum was positively skinny. One boy in 600. I wonder what the ratio is today? This was 1950-1954
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

hugh

When we were kids Mike there was very little in the way of TV entertainment and no computer games so kids went out to play. School dinners for me was 3 rounds of bread and home made jam. Those were the years of poverty. Not many fat kids around.
Happy Golfer

zoony

On the other hand there seem to be many more gym-bunnies, of both sexes, as well. Some folk get it some don't. Like smoking..And don't get me started on 'diets'..

Alex

I've been a YoYo dieter since my thirties, like Jacq I was slim always a size 12 but after children the hormones seem to go all to pot.
I lost a stone last year on a low carb Keto diet, but that should become a way of life CUT OUT THE CARBS it worked for me, but I didn't stick to it so since Christmas most of that has gone back on. 
Once the weather gets better :cool: :cool: :cool:

klondike

Don't try these diet pills. My son did but couldn't keep up with the cost.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/diet-pill-s-icky-side-effects-keep-users-honest-flna1c9470891

Not the cost of the pills. The cost of new underpants  :smiley:

Alex

Years ago a friend and I used to go to a "doctor's surgery " on Rodney Street which was the north's answer to Harley Street.  He was a real smooth looking fella, fake tan, gold bracelet, you know the type ? he made David Dickinson look anaemic.   Anyway he'd give us an injection in the upper arm and hand out a bottle of tablets for us to take each day.  Now I look back they were probably some kind of uppers, the injection could have been anything too.  I can't remember exactly how much we paid each week, but I imagine he made an absolute fortune.   

zoony

Fascinating.. And what did you think you were there for??

Alex

It was a slimming clinic, klondike mentioned his son's pills and I remembered about mine.

zoony

Of course.. I'd forgotten about those..

klondike

They stop the body absorbing and digesting fat. If you eat fatty food though it is well greased up and unfortunately sort of "slips out"  :grin:

There was a review which I should maybe try to find as it was, imo at least, pretty funny. Unless it was just in an email from my son.

zoony

Nasty! :grin: .. Seems an awful lot of expense rather than just adjust portion sizes and expectations..If it took a lifetime to get there it won't disappear quickly, 'cept for the first few pounds of course..

Alex

Quote from: klondike on January 30, 2022, 06:15:44 PM
They stop the body absorbing and digesting fat. If you eat fatty food though it is well greased up and unfortunately sort of "slips out"  :grin:

There was a review which I should maybe try to find as it was, imo at least, pretty funny. Unless it was just in an email from my son.

The tablets we took didn't have any side effects like your lad's klondike, apart from being full of energy :grin:

klondike

I think the ones these are selling are the ones that stop fat absorption. They say they do that. Don't seem to mention the side effect I did though. I wonder why.
https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy.com/uk/weight-loss