Britain on the naughty step

Started by klondike, January 26, 2022, 11:33:54 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

It seems it's our fault again. I'm not sure quite why though.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10442745/Britain-responsibility-Chiles-vast-fast-fashion-mountains.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

Extracts from story...
Chile's environment officials have called on UK to stop clothes being illegally dumped in the Atacama Desert
Around 60,000 tonnes of clothing arrive each year at the Iquique port in the Alto Hospicio free zone
But at least 39,000 tonnes that cannot be sold end up in massive rubbish dumps in the desert
With no legal means of disposal, the piles of textiles are burned, releasing toxic fumes and polluting ground
Chile's environment officials have called on the UK to 'take responsibility' and stop thousands of tonnes of clothes from Europe and the United States being illegally dumped in the Atacama Desert.

So the stuff comes from Europe and the US yet the Mail reports Chile's environment officials have called on the UK to 'take responsibility'
Obvious BS as I have no doubt the same communication was sent everywhere.

Next comes the matter of Chilean companies importing waste. Who issues the licences for the imports? Would it by chance be Chile?
Then we have  no legal means of disposal and in Chile that is our fault how?

These damned Newspapers run stories that on the face of things blames us when, IMO,  the entire fault lies with lack of regulation by Chile.

TREBOR

Why cannot these clothes be re-cycled?

crabbyob

perhaps they are re-cycled.....
they will be expecting us to throw a few million at them as we must be the laughing stock of the world.
i had hoped Boris might be the man to draw a line in the sand, but instead he seems doomed to dissapear in a sand-storm all of his own... what is it about the man that attracts suicide vests?

Sheila

When I volunteered in a charity shop, clothing that was not good enough to be sold went into the 'rags' and a man would come every week and take them away.  I was told that they were turned into carpet underlay.

Alex

I see Liz Truss has pledged £97 million of extra UK aid to Afghanistan.  Is it any wonder people in Africa and some Middle eastern countries see us as the land of milk and honey.  We do seem to lob out billions here there and everywhere.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]